Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has it been mafless tuned?

Shauno-81

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0L VE Calais-V.
Hey all, you seem to be a knowledgable bunch so here's a question, and I apologise in advance for the novel. I brought my 6.0L Calais V last year, the guy I brought it off told me it's been mafless tuned, provided dyno papers with 250rwkw which indicates to me it has been. (Correct me if I'm wrong on anything here), so here's the thing, it's got an airhammer, Extractors and cat back exhausts. Goes great! It's had an engine light showing since I brought it which he said has been on since the tune, my diagnostic tool shows codes of maf voltage too low (p0102 I think). And codes for the o2 sensors aswell. So my main question is, without taking it to a tuner and being charged a premium due to my lack of knowledge, how can I tell if it is actually mafless tuned or not? I seem to remember the ex owner saying something about the mafs still there but not connected. I'm confused and I don't have his number so I need opinions fellas! Cheers...
Shaun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Well... is the MAF still there? It will be located between the throttle body and the Airhammer and have a single plug coming out of it.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
first thing to do would be to see if it is disconnected,should be a loose cable near the air cleaner etc

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
Do you know who tuned it? Give them a bell. Normally when a maffless tune is performed the MAF is removed and the tune adjusted so its switched off.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Codes indicate likely has MAF disconnected.
MAF looks like this, check to see if the connector is plugged in, if so follow the wiring as likely re-routed to just leave temp sensor (IAT) active.

ty8edara.jpg

EDIT your MAF could be positioned almost anywhere along the intake pre-throttle body

Shauno-81

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0L VE Calais-V.
Thanks for the feedback fellas appreciate it.. It is still plugged in like the picture above. I'll have a closer look at it and see where it leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
provided dyno papers with 250rwkw which indicates to me it has been.

Have you thought about contacting the shop on the dyno sheet and asking them?

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Unplug the MAF sensor plug and see if the car behaves any different?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Thanks for the feedback fellas appreciate it.. It is still plugged in like the picture above. I'll have a closer look at it and see where it leads.

It's still plugged in (to the MAF I would assume) so if the MAF is still there, why would they do a MAFless tune?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Isn't it possible to tune the car without the MAF and still leave the MAF in for legality "appearance"? Kind of defeats the purpose given that the reason a MAFless tune is done is to remove the obstruction of airflow (to my knowledge anyway.)