Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has the VL Calais / berlina / commodore passion finally ended in 2013 ?

Calais666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL CALAIS / VP CALAIS
I have noticed in the past 4 - 5 moths that so many VL Calais / berlinas /commodores are being sold when so much work has gone into them ... Are people over the vls or has it always been this way ? I have heard to keep them because they are such a different series to all other Holden's and might be worth some value one day ... I don't really believe this unless its a walky , bt1 or hdt of some sort ..

Maybe other people have had enough because its never ending or has the oassion in 2013 for these cars just not there anymore .. I have seen a few big name mechanics keeping them and turbo ing the sh.. Out of them and that's cool :) but the majority of people now ???

I must admit mine has made me almost pull my hair out at times but I still do love this car !

I hope not !

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
I used to own a VL Commodore Executive and never thought of it as being special or collectible in any way. So I didn't have any issues in replacing it when it broke it down.

As for people disposing modified ones, maybe they're bored? If it's a recent thing, maybe they've decided to get into VEs? Could the turbo novelty have worn off now that they're so common?

For old times' sake (and check the mullets)...
holden_calais_vl_ser1_01.jpg

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I'm actually going to sell mine once I get it back on the road. I've replaced heaps of parts in the process. My reason for selling is that I actually want a ute, and a newer car. I'm not financially equipped atm for the VL, recently married, wanting to buy a house with my wife. Eventually I will come back to one, I have nitrous oxide in my blood haha, just now's not the time

Calais666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL CALAIS / VP CALAIS
I'm looking for my second one to actually build ground up .. I guess people do get bored and maybe it has caused to many headaches building but I don't think I could get rid of them anymore !! They are just to nice !

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
there a head ache when it comes to modified ones!

ive had close to 20 or so over the past 13 years.
still have one now and prob will still always have one although at the moment ive lost the passion for working on cars to focused on work and family and have no time.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I'm looking for my second one to actually build ground up .. I guess people do get bored and maybe it has caused to many headaches building but I don't think I could get rid of them anymore !! They are just to nice !

Buy mine, already turbo'd :p

Calais666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL CALAIS / VP CALAIS
Lol ... Wish I could have urs also n turbo but I got my eye on one ATM ... Just gotta wait for the right moment to he gives in !!!! :) I'm sooo close now !

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
For me, a VL is one of those cars you need to allocate a good few months - a year, and a good sum of cash to build it so it's done, unlike mine which is constantly getting upgrades, and I can't have a daily project lol it's either a project or a daily.

I know people on here who drive their's every day and still work on it, but funds are a major facto with VLs

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
like all the early model commodores i guess.... i remember when vb/vc were a dime a dozen and you could pick one up for $50-$100 that wasn't in to bad of nic and was close to roadworthy...... can't find one for that price anymore even in a rusted out beaten up condition, i think the vl's might be going down that road, their price will probably drop even lower than it is now, more will be thrashed, trashed and scrapped.... the population will thin out and maybe one day in 15-20 years they'll be hard to find and worth something.......