Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has your question been asked before?

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by Tasmaniak, Sep 8, 2005.

1. holdenvtfan

holdenvtfan New Member

Members Ride:
    50th Anniversary vt
    Vy unit in vt?

Hello, everyone. I am looking at a Vy double din unit and was wondering if any of you know if it will fit in my Vt? Mine is stuffed and I would like to keep a factory appearence if possible.

2. holdenboy

holdenboy Custom Car Stereo Systems

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    You can buy VY-VZ double DIN kits, which allows you to fit an aftermarket double DIN head-unit (the factory one is a little bigger than double DIN)...heres the link to what you need. Just click on Installation Kits - Facias - Holden.

3. lovely09

lovely09 New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    First of all,i had this stereo problem on my car since last week and no luck at all in resolving the issue until i found this site.I want to say thank you very much for the troubleshooting guide on the whole thread,understanding every response made me conclude and analyze my real problem.Well done guys.

4. Mynameisntfrank

Mynameisntfrank New Member

Members Ride:
    05 VZ Executive Wagon
    Need help with installing an aftermarket double din into my vz

hey i have a pioneer double din headunit and i wish to install this into my vz by taking the factory one out. i also intend on puting an additional 2 speakers in the car and an amp nd sub compilation. i know how to do most of the job but my question is. Will wen i change the units over the wire harness that contains all my accesories, earth, speaker wires, 12v power etc. fit from the stock unit to the pioneer one? Also will the steering controls work? i know the brown lead conects this to the wheel. and finally. will the head unit turn off wen i open my door as the factory one does?
    cheers.

5. Channy's1stCommie

Channy's1stCommie New Member

Members Ride:
    1981 VL Commodore
    There is VK-VZ Stereo wiring list but is there a wiring list for a 1981 VC???? Just bought it today and it has the stock radio in it- need a CD player in ASAP!!!

6. holdenboy

holdenboy Custom Car Stereo Systems

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Theres only one wire in the stock loom worth using IMO. The accessories wire, you can find using a multimeter or test light and turning the key.

Constant power can be obtained via the clock (if fitted), if not check any wiring looms up there (once again with a multimeter or test light) for power regardless of key position. Make a new earthing spot to a solid piece of metal in the dash, and you'll need to run new speaker wiring or upgrade the speakers as they use a "common earth" system for wiring which wont work with an aftermarket head-unit.

7. taylorsvr

taylorsvr New Member

Members Ride:
    VS SS V8 Ute
    I pulled out my Kenwood Stereo to wire-in some new speakers, now my head unit is displaying "PROTECT" flashing continuously, i managed to get rid of it for a while untill i had to unplug the harness again to do extra wiring, now this message has appeared again and i cant get it to stop. also i obviously cant use my stereo untill this message has gone away if you didnt get that already... i have tries the reset button a number of times and also pulled out the fuse and replaced it.. still displaying "protect" its driving me nuts because i just put in a nice new set of speakers but now i cant use them!!

8. sweefu

sweefu New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
    Have you checked your earth mate? Are all the cables properly shielded?

9. wamboin23

wamboin23 Donating Member w/ Boost

Members Ride:
    VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VR Acclaim V6
    sounds as if youve got a short in the speakers somewhere, cabling or speakers themselves. i'm guessing the stereo shuts itself down and displays protect, to protect it from been damaged.

10. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    Some simple trouble shooting to help you identify the issue.

Firstly , begin by disconecting your speakers all together.
    Turn the head unit back on, do you still get the "protect" message.
    If it dosen't , then you know there is an issue with your speaker connection.
    Otherwise, it is an issue with your power/earth wiring.

If it is your speaker wiring causing the issue, then connect each speaker one at a time, until you find the speaker responsible for the problem. Once you've found the speaker causing the issue, trace the wiring back to the speaker itself, checking for any loose ends, exposed wiring ect. Better yet, just re-wire that speaker if possible.

Be sure to have your battery disconnected each time you pull your head unit out. It dosent matter so much when connecting speakers so long as the head unit is switched off, but it's advisable that you do so, as a safety pre-caution.

If your speaker wires aren't the cause of the fault, check that your power wires are correctly crimped, soldered (which ever your method) and that your earth wire has a secure connection.

Also check that you haven't knocked a wire loose in the ISO plug (the plug at the back of the head unit ) especially if you've been removing, and re-fitting your head unit quite a bit.

11. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    look, failing this, Kenwood H/U have been known to throw themselves into protect from time to time... unplug and reconnect will remove it from this mode and it will run for another 12 months before going into protect mode again....now, donsidering the fact that you've removed it and installed new speakers....fair chance you have a short.

12. imogencheynes

imogencheynes New Member

Members Ride:
    hsv vy, vz thunder
    my FIRST speaker swap from stocks to alpine, in my ute. thort it was the speakers coz everything else worked. the newbies not working eitha...wot have i forgotten or now need to look at? am i looking at re-wiring nxt

13. vongy10

vongy10 Active Member

Members Ride:
    CV8 Monaro V2
    Repost that using proper English then we can help you...

14. tittezzzvr

tittezzzvr Member

Members Ride:
    VT v6 Berlina & 5LT VP International
    OK Ive installed a CB unit to my calais & got the engine buzz coming through it,, Will a inline filter fix this ?? Ive tryed a condensor on the alt then coil but the didnt wornt
    Power & earth in directly off battery to avoid this problem but it didnt work
    Sorry if this is the wrong section to post in

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  15. Tasmaniak

Members Ride:
    I'm no longer able to add to the original message but if anyone has anything relevant to add considering we've had two models of vastly different model commodores released, post them up and I'll contact a mod to either allow me to modify my original post or if we can compile a list and and get them to add to it.

Heres an important one...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...mera-integration-aftermarket-alpine-unit.html

16. GMH-SV6

GMH-SV6 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz sv6
    Hi guys, hope this is the right thread, i took my car to a installer in melbourne, he installed headunit 2 rca, and 6 speakers and a boss audio amp. Now apparently the amp is not good so he suggested to buy his alpine amp and refused to tune my setup i brought as he believes the setup is crap, so now ive decided to take out the 4 channel boss audio amp, however if possible is someone able to recommend me an amp that can be tuneable and handle the 6 speakers and headunit haha, btw im not going to put subwoofers.

17. Tasmaniak

Members Ride:
    Any mainstream branded 4 channel amplifier is going to do what you want. He is right to a certain extent, the Boss amp is crap. Doesn't mean its un-useable though. Just far from ideal. It can be "tuned" but essentially you just need the levels set right and all the crossovers set to full/through.

18. GMH-SV6

GMH-SV6 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz sv6

Hi, thank you for that, i have gone on ebay and had a look at this amplifier
    Pioneer GM-D8604

Would you recommend me buying this one, if not is there any chance you could recommend me an alternative as ive searched in the stickied threads however the links never work haha. Cheers