Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has your question been asked before?

holdenvtfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
50th Anniversary vt
Vy unit in vt?

Hello, everyone. I am looking at a Vy double din unit and was wondering if any of you know if it will fit in my Vt? Mine is stuffed and I would like to keep a factory appearence if possible.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You can buy VY-VZ double DIN kits, which allows you to fit an aftermarket double DIN head-unit (the factory one is a little bigger than double DIN)...heres the link to what you need. Just click on Installation Kits - Facias - Holden.

lovely09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
First of all,i had this stereo problem on my car since last week and no luck at all in resolving the issue until i found this site.I want to say thank you very much for the troubleshooting guide on the whole thread,understanding every response made me conclude and analyze my real problem.Well done guys.

Mynameisntfrank

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive Wagon
Need help with installing an aftermarket double din into my vz

hey i have a pioneer double din headunit and i wish to install this into my vz by taking the factory one out. i also intend on puting an additional 2 speakers in the car and an amp nd sub compilation. i know how to do most of the job but my question is. Will wen i change the units over the wire harness that contains all my accesories, earth, speaker wires, 12v power etc. fit from the stock unit to the pioneer one? Also will the steering controls work? i know the brown lead conects this to the wheel. and finally. will the head unit turn off wen i open my door as the factory one does?
cheers.

Channy's1stCommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VL Commodore
There is VK-VZ Stereo wiring list but is there a wiring list for a 1981 VC???? Just bought it today and it has the stock radio in it- need a CD player in ASAP!!!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Theres only one wire in the stock loom worth using IMO. The accessories wire, you can find using a multimeter or test light and turning the key.

Constant power can be obtained via the clock (if fitted), if not check any wiring looms up there (once again with a multimeter or test light) for power regardless of key position. Make a new earthing spot to a solid piece of metal in the dash, and you'll need to run new speaker wiring or upgrade the speakers as they use a "common earth" system for wiring which wont work with an aftermarket head-unit.

taylorsvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8 Ute
I pulled out my Kenwood Stereo to wire-in some new speakers, now my head unit is displaying "PROTECT" flashing continuously, i managed to get rid of it for a while untill i had to unplug the harness again to do extra wiring, now this message has appeared again and i cant get it to stop. also i obviously cant use my stereo untill this message has gone away if you didnt get that already... i have tries the reset button a number of times and also pulled out the fuse and replaced it.. still displaying "protect" its driving me nuts because i just put in a nice new set of speakers but now i cant use them!!

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Have you checked your earth mate? Are all the cables properly shielded?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
sounds as if youve got a short in the speakers somewhere, cabling or speakers themselves. i'm guessing the stereo shuts itself down and displays protect, to protect it from been damaged.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Some simple trouble shooting to help you identify the issue.

Firstly , begin by disconecting your speakers all together.
Turn the head unit back on, do you still get the "protect" message.
If it dosen't , then you know there is an issue with your speaker connection.
Otherwise, it is an issue with your power/earth wiring.

If it is your speaker wiring causing the issue, then connect each speaker one at a time, until you find the speaker responsible for the problem. Once you've found the speaker causing the issue, trace the wiring back to the speaker itself, checking for any loose ends, exposed wiring ect. Better yet, just re-wire that speaker if possible.

Be sure to have your battery disconnected each time you pull your head unit out. It dosent matter so much when connecting speakers so long as the head unit is switched off, but it's advisable that you do so, as a safety pre-caution.

If your speaker wires aren't the cause of the fault, check that your power wires are correctly crimped, soldered (which ever your method) and that your earth wire has a secure connection.

Also check that you haven't knocked a wire loose in the ISO plug (the plug at the back of the head unit ) especially if you've been removing, and re-fitting your head unit quite a bit.