Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have anyone tried this self tuning package?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Be very wary about this sort of stuff.

I cant find what make or models are supported by the software (Or even what software is included with the package).

The two Tuning packages that I know of that allow you to tune a VE (and most modern commodores) is either EFILive, or HPTuners.

There are literally thousands of different OBD2 Scan tool cables, dongles and adaptors out there, but most of them use a generic ELM327 chip, connected to the standard OBD pins.
This will typically allow you to read diagnostic trouble codes, and clear them, as well as view generic OBD data (such as RPM, temp, fuel trim, etc, etc),
but they certainly will not allow you to download ECU data, let alone upload it).

What makes things very very difficult with this kind of stuff is there a lots and LOTS or protocols in use out there, all of them are manufacturer (and in many cases model) specific.

If the tuning software does not specifically say it works with a VE Commodore, then the chances of it being able to do anything more than what a cheapy $15 ELM327 OBD scan tool can do will be very very slim.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
On the first page if you scroll right down through all the bullshit there is a picture of what you get and it is a ELM327 OBD Dongle with their software lol

a quote from the page However — TOAD can not download/upload the ECU data from/to the car. For that you'll need a separate Tuner kit below that supports your exact car model/year.

So in summary: You need both TOAD and Tuner.

In all fairness the software may edit the file once you get the file off using your Tuning software this is where i thought it was expensive as in need to buy credits or something ?

All in all I think its just a bit of sneaky advertising if you don't read into and think its going to do the lot well more the fool the person, at the end of the day all you got is a cheap ELM327 and some software that may or may not work.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I'd avoid that sort of stuff personally. It doesnt take much of a mistake with fuel maps to totally destroy an engine and the seller won't want to know you once you've paid up.
Good tuners cost a fair wack of money because they have experience and back up their work with after sales customer service.
Which is cheaper, a new engine or a proper tune?

Cheers for posting though, always interesting to see this kind of stuff.