Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have ford lost the plot?

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
Wandering through the shopping centre they had a new Ford Territory for some raffle prize. I looked at the sticker on the windscreen and it said Urban fuel per 100km's was 16Litres. I double checked and it was indeed 16... thats worse than the missus AU falcon, and thats almost 10 year old now. Who would buy a new 6cyl that uses so much fuel? And its got bugger all boot space compared to her wagon, (unless you can stack your groceries vertically somehow) which they as far as I know have stopped selling. Do they do this stuff on purpose to lose sales?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Lose sales? Every second person has a Territory these days....I'd believe 16 litres actually, they're quiet a heavy rig, a darn site heavier than an AU Falcon. Honestly, apart from the few issues giving the Territory a bad name, they aren't a bad car for what they are (coming from a Holden through and through person i might add).

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
You sure it wasn't the Turbo model? And besides, the figure that means something is the combined figure. The city driving figure on most large petrol cars is always going to be high.

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Executive 3.8L
Short answer is yes. the are moving the falcon to FWD. im pretty sure the head of the drive train department has gone completly insane

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
I can go months without needing to venture down the highway anywhere. This town is designed so crappily that when you reach 60, you just have to stop again. So city figures are really the most important to me and anyone else stuck in rock-hole-ton. I'm pretty sure I saw a figure like 16 on a V8 VE, which would be a hell of a lot more fun than a terry. According to the wheels magazine I just picked up from late 2010, shows the ford territory in 18th place for passenger vehicles sold, beaten by foresters, captivas, rio's, and even the mazda 2. The falcon had a 22% decrease, the biggest loser for the period. Commodores outsold falcons by 77percent. I'd say that's evidence of losing sales?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Wandering through the shopping centre they had a new Ford Territory for some raffle prize. I looked at the sticker on the windscreen and it said Urban fuel per 100km's was 16Litres. I double checked and it was indeed 16... thats worse than the missus AU falcon, and thats almost 10 year old now. Who would buy a new 6cyl that uses so much fuel? And its got bugger all boot space compared to her wagon, (unless you can stack your groceries vertically somehow) which they as far as I know have stopped selling. Do they do this stuff on purpose to lose sales?

seen the figure for the cx9?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You'd really need to take the Territory's figures in the context of its intended market. If it was a 4WD version, then you would expect the consumption to be high and it should therefore be compared to competitors within its market segment. What are the figures for a Prado, for example?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
well the Territory uses the very same engine as the Falcon and the Falcon's fuel economy is comparable to the Commodore
so I figure it must be the Territory's extra weight etc that is to blame

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I can say this...a tuned and exhausted turbo territory is bloody brilliant to drive around in. So not very backwards if you ask me. Perhaps many do not care about fuel consumption and just buy what they like?

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
thats fuel usage in an urban evironment, lots of stop/start driving sitting idling acceleration to get in front of people so you can change lanes son and so forth.