Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have I blown my Subby?

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
Driving out from the Como Hotler in perth one arvo, and I figured I had absolutely no bass, being on the road, I assumed someone had nicked my subby and amp. However, at a set of lights, I dived into my EQ settings and everything had been reset (I dunno how it happened), but even when I put the settings back to where they were, the sounds wasn't the same.

Anyway, I got to a mates place and put the sound to 16, where the bass starts to kick in, but my subby was doing nothing, except depressing and rising slightly every couple of seconds.... It had nothing on it, could it be a loose connection somewhere or the system isn't connected to the battery terminal properly?

Please tell me I haven't expired my subby within six months....

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Reset of your settings most likely means a disruption to the power source of the HU. As your car started, this may just be a loose connection as you suggest. Give your terminals a clean and tighten em up. However, you sub shouldn't be affected by this as it will only turn on when your amp does. Is your amp working fine?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
have you been running your sub particularly hard lately? Id say that if you blew it you would have noticed at the time, maybe smelt the VC's

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
how much was the sub moving?

if it's movement was massive, and no sound, i have seen blown subs do that... can't help any further than that, not my field. *shrug*

Marco-EFIVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Put it this way, from time to time I did work it hard'ish. However I don't recall anything going on with the subby prior to it 'not working', like the night before, it was all fine. The only thing I did do was I disconnected my fuel pump from the terminal to the ignition coil (Yeah, I blew a fuse). I hope, that loosing my fuel pump fuse, I might not have buggered anything up. One thing I'd like to ask is, if I did 'blow' my woofer, I would've noticed it go aye?

Yeah, I have my 300W amp wired to my subby, if my amp doesn't come on that would show a loose connection right? If the amp DOES come on, and the subby don't work, then does that mean I'm in trouble?

When I was describing what the subby now does, it depresses, maybe, 3cm at most, but I know it isn't normal, there is no force behind it, it just depresses, then rises again. It doesn't slam, or thump or whatever you'd call it, just in and out, like as if it was breathing (thats the best way I can describe it)....

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
you can check speaker cable between amp and sub... and some amps will still turn on if somethings wrong but display an error code in the form of a light (mine is normally blue but will turn red if something is wrong) if thats the case check your earth. if thats not the case check speaker cable... if a voice coil is gone (and i dont really recommend this but i have mucked around with a broken sub before) you can push the sub cone in and the coil will make contact and the sub will work for a bit... food for thought

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Marco-EFIVL said:
Driving out from the Como Hotler in perth one arvo, and I figured I had absolutely no bass, being on the road, I assumed someone had nicked my subby and amp. However, at a set of lights, I dived into my EQ settings and everything had been reset (I dunno how it happened), but even when I put the settings back to where they were, the sounds wasn't the same.

Anyway, I got to a mates place and put the sound to 16, where the bass starts to kick in, but my subby was doing nothing, except depressing and rising slightly every couple of seconds.... It had nothing on it, could it be a loose connection somewhere or the system isn't connected to the battery terminal properly?

Please tell me I haven't expired my subby within six months....

Double check your earth to your amp, just make sure that it is metal on metal contact........The amp can still turn on even if it has a bad earth, it sometimes uses the earth from the rca's to help power it up (This is BAD).....

What sort of headunit is it, and what sort of amp?

Hope this helps......cheers

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
like whats said before, it sounds like an amp issue rather than a sub issue

Marco-EFIVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, I checked my AMP, it seems to be working fine, the little blue light comes on so it must be getting power... I checked my battery though, I'm close to if not have already dropped a cell in my battery and my Voltage is around 11 - 12, so it ain't looking good. Is it possible my sounds system isn't getting teh juice?

And Amp earth, where would that be located by any chance?