Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have I bought the wrong this?

tairvine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VX II 3.8
Hi,
I have been having some issues with the temperature gauge in my VX2 Calais, and purchased what I thought was the right sensor. From the picture it looks like the one in my car near the thermostat. Champion Coolant Sensor CCS26

However, it doesn't have the right sized thread, and the electrical connectors while close aren't a match. I note this part is recommended for many cars, and was wondering did I need to buy some adaptors to make the thing fit, or did I get the wrong thing all together?

Any advice?
Thanks
Tom

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Did you go through a catalogue and find that that was the actual right part for the car? Or just guess based on what it looks like?

2 minutes on the Tridon website told me that you need

TCS070 Coolant sensor

Terminal term-100
Features Thread - 3/8 - 18 NPT
Spanner - 19mm
Replaces original black part.

Repco or Bursons should have the part.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yep, that's the wrong coolant temp sensor. Why not just get a genuine one from Holden at approx $20.

tairvine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VX II 3.8
I rang Holden before I got this one. They quoted $80.

I didn't do a visual inspection for the part, I looked up the sensor is listed on the champion website MOTOSPECS automotive aftermarket products - incl brakes, suspension, transmission & electrical as for a a vx commodore 2002 ... among many other brands. What I am trying to establish is, if I made a mistake reading their website they do list this as a coolant temperature sensor for a vx commodore. If it's not actually a coolant sensor for a vx commodore I'll ask for a refund. If somehow or other I've bought a part for another part of the engine by mistake I'll wear the error.

The Tridon one looks exactly like the one I need. Thanks for that.

So they have sold me a coolant sensor that they list as for my car or have I been misled? I've heard somewhere there are two sensors in the engine, one for the ECU and one for the dash, I thought perhaps I may have bought the wrong one. It's listed as being suitable for heaps of cars that's what made me curious.

Here's the listing from the champion website.

CCS26 COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
HOLDEN
COMMODORE 1980 - 1981, VC, 6CYL 2.8L BLUE CARB
1984 - 1986, VK, 6CYL 3.3L BLACK CARB
1984 - 1986, VK, 6CYL 3.3L BLACK EFI
2000 - 2002, VU UTILITY, V6CYL 3.8L ECOTEC MPFI
2000 - 2002, VX/VU, V6CYL 3.8L ECOTEC MPFI
1997 - 2000, VT, V6CYL 3.8L ECOTEC MPFI
1995 - 2000, VS, V6CYL 3.8L ECOTEC MPFI SQUARE DESIGN : 2 LAR

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just checked it out,the CCS26 sensor is definitely listed as the right one for the ecotec on that website.It also shows that the CCS26 sensor was still used used on the VT,VX ecotec engines.If it doesnt fit then Id be contacting the place you bought it from.I agree with the post above that recommends using a genuine holden sensor.I wont bother with anything else when it comes to engine sensors.Genuine parts will last for ages,usually a lot longer than some cheaper aftermarket parts..

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You purchased a coolant temperature sensor which connects to the engine management system. What you need is a temperature gauge sender which connects to the temperature gauge and is also listed on the MOTOSPECS web site.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
You purchased a coolant temperature sensor which connects to the engine management system. What you need is a temperature gauge sender which connects to the temperature gauge and is also listed on the MOTOSPECS web site.

Not on a VX V6. They do not run a separate coolant temp sensor AND sender like the earlier VS's. They only run the 1 coolant temp sensor which is also utilised for the temp gauge signal.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
I rang Holden before I got this one. They quoted $80.

Far out! Mate ring another dealer if there's one not too far away or maybe even look online like ebay etc.
I bought one approx 1 month ago and i know I certainly paid no more than $30 for it.

tairvine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VX II 3.8
Not on a VX V6. They do not run a separate coolant temp sensor AND sender like the earlier VS's. They only run the 1 coolant temp sensor which is also utilised for the temp gauge signal.

That makes sense, I'd read that maybe they did, but I looked and looked no sign of any other sensor. Seems they are listing the part I bought incorrectly. It couldn't work on the VT VS and VX.

tairvine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VX II 3.8
Far out! Mate ring another dealer if there's one not too far away or maybe even look online like ebay etc.
I bought one approx 1 month ago and i know I certainly paid no more than $30 for it.

Suttons Arncliffe, in fairness it was $76, I rounded up. I would have assumed the dealers had standard pricing, maybe a bit of a difference from store to store but more than double is this normal? I would have never thought to ring multiple Holden dealers.