Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Having a battle with Holden due lifters

Elwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SSV Redline
G’day all,

long time reader, first time poster.

I’ll keep this as much to the point as I can but I’m after a bit of help regarding a Hydraulic Lifter issue on my 2016 VF2 Redline.

Purchased the car new in 2016 and it’s currently done 47000km. Around 45000km I noticed the noisey lifted issue on cold starts with a slight lifter chirp after warm (discussed in other threads). I couldn’t immediately get in to Holden thanks to COVID but did the video thing and gave it to Holden about a month ago to service and do a cold start check. After this they confirmed it was the lifters and quoted between $3800-4900 depending on what they found.

Obviously I was a bit pi$$ed and have been going back and forward with Holden about paying for it, which they don’t want to do.

So I’m after a few opinions and options from you all.

1. I’ll keep fighting the issue with Holden and take it further if need be but should I get the old girl fixed first? I’m concerned that further delay could do significant damage and repair costs could blow out.

2. anyone had this fight before and can recommend a course of action?

3. The quote seems bloody steep and I don’t know how keen I am for Holden to crack open my engine and play around. With that said is there anyone in the Brisbane area you could recommend for a job like this?

4. Lastly, anybody else replaced the lifters? What’s the long term prospects of further issues with the old girl?

i know I didn’t really keep it brief haha but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Cheers all.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
How bad is the tick? I can hear mine hot and cold plus piston slap when the engine is very cold. They wont be a silent engine with all the moving parts inside.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Elwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SSV Redline
How bad is the tick? I can hear mine hot and cold plus piston slap when the engine is very cold. They wont be a silent engine with all the moving parts inside.

Pretty loud till it’s up to temp (think Diesel engine) then once it’s warm it’s really only noticeable at idle

Elwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SSV Redline

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah 100% agree mate, they have been reminded on multiple occasion, their argument is because I got the 30k service late that it voids their obligations
How much late ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden themselves provide a 90day or 3,000 kms leeway on the scheduled service window (at least for my 2018 delivered VF). Read the fixed price service conditions for your specific vehicle and purchase date...

So when you say late, you need to consider delivery date + 18 month (30k window) + 3 months or by 33,000 kms, which ever occurs first. If you meet this, it’s likely not late at all...

In any case, you should get ideas about ACL if you read the sudden loss of power steering thread along with fuel injector failure thread... lots of ideas in this threads.

Also worth a read of @Ron Burgundy thread on his engine replacement due to cold start saga...

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars