Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Having a battle with Holden due lifters

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
In any case ... missing an oil change would be very unlikely to cause piston slap....
This is an issue to do with clearance between bores and pistons but I can see how Holden would argue it could have...i.e. reduced lubrication=increased wear of components.... Not saying this is likely....but in theory possible, and good luck proving it's not.

Lifters are a bit more sensitive as their operation depends on the oil flow...

Unfortunately for you....I think your chances to get Holden to cover this are extremely low.

Whatever happens, I have a feeling that in the future you will do logbook servicing with more diligence :)

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Technically yes, reality no. Oil and filter was changed at 30k by a private mechanic because I couldn’t lose the car for a day. Holden got it at about 37k to do the 30k service.

I’ve saved all the records over the years but didn’t save the straight up oil change service receipt and can’t supply it now either.
Another devil's advocate here.

So, the whole case seems to rest upon an undocumented oil and filter change at 30,000 kms (15,000 kms before the first symptoms appeared). I very much doubt if that was the cause of the effect, but it does leave a gap in the service history. What type of vehicles did the mate with a set of ramps, unqualified private mechanic usually work on? Is there any possibility that he used an incorrect oil (i.e. one designed for diesel engines). So many unknowns, all of which will be used against you if you try to contest for a courtroom solution.

In your shoes I would probably accept that I will have to pay for any solution, due to my having given Holden a way out through a technicality. Then I would consider that if I have to spend some money, I would rather not give it to Holden or the two-faced dealership, and look into finding an outfit to do what 07GTS suggested. If you gotta spend the bucks, get more bang for them.
u could prob get a cam, lifters and head all tuned package for the price holden said for just lifters

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... given Holden a way out through a technicality...

if I have to spend some money, I would rather not give it to Holden or the two-faced dealership, and look into finding an outfit to do what 07GTS suggested. If you gotta spend the bucks, get more bang for them.
Yes, Holden are just weasels using a technicality in what seems a can’t be bothered to do a correct investigation to get to the bottom of the issue... if it was oil related, the evidence should be staring them in the face if Holden simply removed the rocker cover... doubt they’ve done that.... they seem worse than an insurance company in this instance... So that should be a warning to one and all of the type of company we have to deal with...

If ultimately elwood decides to bite the bullet and repair the engine himself, he would be wise to go to a professional engine builder (and he’s already asked for some recommendations) and stay away from the apprentice clowns that would likely work on his car...

[edited to add: supposedly dexos1 oils can’t be used in diesels while dexos2 oils can be used in either diesel or petrol engines... but who knows what the qualified mechanic (as Elwood described him) actually used. However I doubt it wasn’t to spec. In any case, Holden simply took the easy technical loop hole way out and screwed a customer without further (even basic) investigation, which is poor form in my view.]

Last edited:

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Your fight with Holden will be long and painful and because you can't prove the 30,000km oil change was done, your argument is weak. So there's a good chance you'll lose the case and incur costs.

Have you got a second opinion from a respected mechanic yet? One of your better options I'd suggest is to pay an independent mechanic to replace/upgrade the lifters and be done with it. Suck up the cost (which will be less than Holden's quote), move on with your life and avoid the pain of a 6 - 12 month fight with Holden.

Elwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SSV Redline
Cheers everyone, appreciate all the comments even the ones where it looks like they are having a go but aren’t haha.

Honestly having discussed things again this morning with Holden and them politely saying see you in court, I figured it’s probably not worth pursuing further to get them to do it. As has been pointed out the missed service and getting oil change done at 30k without proof leaves me pretty well stuffed and I accept that, always did but wanted to get ideas anyway.

I’ve had a couple quotes come back already for stock lifters and stock cam of $3300 or upgrade lifters, cam, air intake and tune for around $5500-$5800 so trying to work out the best value for money. Spoken to Hi-Torque performance in Brisbane and also Power Torque (Walkinshaw Rep) so far. Anybody have any feedback on these guys or any other options?

Ps I should add I’ll be getting the lifters assessed to check if oil was an issue, if not I’ll look at talking to Holden again.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If I had the extra few grand available, I wouldn't hesitate going for the upgrade combo.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
q

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it makes you feel any better, dealers are getting screwed by GM international.

Justice has been served.
The dealer doesn’t attempt to fulfil its ACL legal obligations towards its customer by hand-balling the issue to the manufacturer (an illegal act). Holden denies the factory warranty claim and walks away, ignoring accessing ACL issues in the process (something counter to their undertaking, so also illegal). The end result is the customer gets screwed on a technicality so he’s up for a minimum $3k or maybe full engine rebuild just to fix what is broken (lifters & piston slap).

Yes, the dealer being screwed by their business partner may have some carmic poetry about it but it’s hardly justice... However, I agree with your implied sentiment which may help Elwood feel better about being shafted...

Now just for elwoods to start the build thread :p:cool:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, Holden are just weasels using a technicality in what seems a can’t be bothered to do a correct investigation to get to the bottom of the issue... if it was oil related

Lets have a little refresh and I quote from you

Also, if you've got non standard big rims and you've lowered the car, may be you are contibuiting to the problem... may be you are not... but the dealer will use it as an out clause and simply blame it on the mods.

So from this, replace some words and add in the words relating to the topic and all of a sudden there is a little conflict in what you have been saying throughout this thread..