Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

having fan problems inside the car

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You have to remove the dash surround and the the heater controls to get to the hoses at the back of the vents selector switch. Sometimes the seal in the switch itself leaks. Put your ear up to the switch and see if you can hear a leak, with engine running of course.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I'll have a listen in the morning, got a headache with it at the moment lol

on_d_tox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS spac S2
ive got a similar problem with my VS i got the evaporator replaced under a warranty i had on the car when i bought it (DONT EVER BUY AN AWN warranty) the mechanic that they made me use were dodgy as fk when i picked it up i turned my stereo on and only one speaker was working and the heater wouldnt work cldnt go back cos they shut just after i left, so took it back the next day they claimed it was dodgy wiring (even tho i kno it wasnt cos my mate whos a pro installer fitted it) and charged me for a new heater tap which they bloody broke, i also asked y when you put your foot down the aircon gushes cold or warm air on your feet their reply was we had to bypass it and wouldnt tell me where my mechanic mate checked it out and he couldnt find where they did unless its up under the dash somewhere, ive just dealt with it im over it lol i plan on putting a stato dash in, in the future so will just replace the whole aircon system then

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If you had a vacuum leak in the engine (inlet manifold), the engine would run really badly and you would still have enough vacuum to operate the vent controls, so it's not that.

If you've had the vacuum hose off the engine end, that is one place to look for it to be cracked or split? Is the spigot in the inlet manifold tight?

One aid to diagnosis is to isolate the vacuum tank and valve and apply the vacuum to the individual parts/hoses. You can buy vacuum pumps for testing (too much $$$ for a one off - look for Mighty-Vac as an example) or you can buy the biggest syringe you can find from a pharmacy - ~$1.00 - and use that to pull the vacuum. It won't work on the vacuum reservoir - it's too large in volume - but will for everything else.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
What spigot are you talking about? I replaced the spigot bush where the rear main is?
Where are all these hoses you are talking about?
The engine is running great so no leak there

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
O and what is that white one way valve called?
After fiddling around with it I can get the vents to work when I driving slow
So my next move is to trim some hose back, see if that helps if not I might try a new one

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I should add that when the dial is on heat the vents work in all spot!
So it must just be that one vacuum line with the one way valve

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
What spigot are you talking about? I replaced the spigot bush where the rear main is?
Where are all these hoses you are talking about?
The engine is running great so no leak there

The one on the back of the inlet manifold that the vacuum hose fits onto.

The other hoses are behind the dash and go to the various actuators that move the vent flaps.

O and what is that white one way valve called?
After fiddling around with it I can get the vents to work when I driving slow
So my next move is to trim some hose back, see if that helps if not I might try a new one

It's called a vacuum check valve. It may still be that is leaking. If you suck on it (or a hose connected to it) it should hold the vacuum with it sealed it against your tongue. (Yes, it tastes horrible.)

I'm reading that as not so much slow as light load. Engine vacuum reduces with increasing engine load so, typically, if you've got a vacuum leak in the vent system it will be most apparent when accelerating or climbing a hill i.e. high load.

If it only happens or is worse with some positions of the vent control then that's a clue as to which of the hoses or actuators is leaking.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
The back of manifold was not touched, (just disconnected the brake hose plus the little hose that goes to the controls)
The brakes work fine
Heater in all positions works fine
I can only get cold air on the windscreen setting or if I'm driving slow or stationary all settings work!
Where can I buy a new valve are they $$?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Get a new valve from Holden, they shouldn't be too expensive but you just never know.