Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Having Trouble Tuning My System

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Just going back to the front splits for the moment. I had the amp running as a high powered 2 channel system as per the specs. But in doing that it does say to use speakers with a 4ohm or high impedance.

I'll read some of that info when I get to work.

The sub is facing toward the rear of the car...

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
but the amp has 4 channels?

so, not "1 speaker for each channel"

2 channels aren't being used then?

so, the splits are getting about 90watts each.

I had each speaker bridged across each of the channels. This is the way it says to do it for high powered 2 channel amp. It does also say however that each speaker needs to be 4ohm or greater

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hahaha... The advice givers don't know anything about sub-bass cancellation in sedans :rolleyes:

Read this and/or this and get some experience with it. I've heard it in several cars and it's quite noticeable but not bad enough to be the original poster's issue.

those links were the proper ones i was after. not much difference to what i posted apart from maybe the explaination.. it was the pics explaination i was after, and it was worth the ask.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
those links were the proper ones i was after. not much difference to what i posted apart from maybe the explaination.. it was the pics explaination i was after, and it was worth the ask.
Wasn't commenting to you.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I had each speaker bridged across each of the channels. This is the way it says to do it for high powered 2 channel amp. It does also say however that each speaker needs to be 4ohm or greater

so you do have 2 channels bridged to each speaker, and are running each channel at 1ohm.

I wouldn't be running it like that, just run each speaker on its own channel and leave 2 channels unused.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Hahaha... The advice givers don't know anything about sub-bass cancellation in sedans :rolleyes:

Read this and/or this and get some experience with it. I've heard it in several cars and it's quite noticeable but not bad enough to be the original poster's issue.

This info is very interesting and probably very accurate but who has room in their boot to put the sub right at the front (entry point) of the boot? I wonder if it would still work the same if the sub was facing to the side but still in this location?

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
so you do have 2 channels bridged to each speaker, and are running each channel at 1ohm.

I wouldn't be running it like that, just run each speaker on its own channel and leave 2 channels unused.

This is how I have it running now. It actually sounds better but that just might be me. I plan on eventually buying an active crossover (possibly Kicker KX3) and then running the rears off the 4 channel amp also. It has a 2 channel input with a 3 channel output which includes an output for the sub. May even improve the sound quality as well.

http://www.elite-electronics.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_93_113&products_id=719

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN

I said there was only one sub because everyone was saying subs Plus who the hell mounts their sub at the front of the boot anyway???

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The corners of a boot are also the back of the boot, so quite a few people mount them back there. I was just showing that there is such thing as cancellation in a boot, but I'm confident that this is not the OP's issue.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri

I didn't say that i don't know anything about sound wave cancelling :p I've read the articles, and frankly i don't believe them. Your average boot IMO is too small to get anywhere near a full wave length. Yes i know they cover that also and bascially say it's a crock. Let's say for argument's sake that it was, how would a 180 degree wave in the boot have any sort of effect on you in the cabin?

In all the articles i have read, the comments were all the same. When i open the boot, it's "louder" but no one said it sounds "better"

Opening the boot and having it sound "louder" is to be expected. Your taking an enclosed sub, in a somewhat small sealed environment, and in short turning it into a bandpass when the boot is open. All the test's and articles refer to the "listening area' i.e the front of the cabin, not the boot. Climb into the boot, and shut it behind you, take the remote with you and tell me if you can honestly hear sound cancellation when moving the sub around and facing it different directions.

Last edited: