Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HBD Brakes

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Just having a bit of a flick around the holden site and noticed HBD have a "performance brake" package (by PBR) available now. Anyone know what this package consists of, how much is it and would it be worth fitting as a factory option or would you be better off spending money afermarket?

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
My thought's too. I'm sure there are plently of SV6, S and probably some normal V6 drivers who would like to stop quicker as well.

But at the end of the day, i'm sure the kit isn't anything that you couldn't do with aftermarket parts (probably for cheaper too), but the obvious downside is the loss of warranty.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
The HBD brake kit is only available on the commodores with the V8 with 17" rims or bigger, they cost a pretty packet, something to think about when buying the car.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
i was looking on the PBR website the other day, they have big brake kits, also hoppers stoppers have upgrade kits so theres plenty of options around, still like said above, it would be nice to get a big brake kit under warranty from holden on a V6!

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
why not ask your dealer to get a brake packat fitted like they do with alot of other mods that you think are factory. The factory warranty doesnt cover them, but the dealer usually finds a mob who'll do the work and give ya a similar warranty to the factory one anyways.

The bodgy dealer i went to knew nothing about the HBD Sandman canopy and when i asked for the sandman canopy he goes "yeah sure mate, i'll get ya a canopy from company X for like $1500", he had to look in his little book when i said "no mate, i want the HBD one for $6150"

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
Some insuance companies may charge extra if you say you have upgraded brakes. They should give a discount if you have more powerful brakes !!!! but i think they assume you are a enthusastic driver and are thus a higher risk?

I asked my dealer about a upgrade when i bought mine and he indicated that it was overpriced for what you get. If you do get it, make sure they install everything they promise. Some packages included metal braided brake hoses and i hear rumours of them being left out in some cases.

Go aftermarket i think it will be cheaper.

PS i also heard that slotted discs can be slightly noiser too........

Last edited:

tim85

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09.5 60th Anniversary LPG Sedan
I work for a dealer, and we are installing a set of aftermarket Harrop brakes on a customer's SS Ute.

I had a look at the PBR upgrade kit for the commodores, which is part no PK1, and they're only $2500, plus fitting. That was the retail price too, which is probably cheaper than the HBD option, and they are probably a better product.

You can check them out at www.pbrperformance.com.au

lazyass

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have moved up to VE SS
The PBR package will fit only 17" wheels or larger most brake upgrades for your car are the same . race brakes sydney have heaps of kits available i suppose it depends on how much you want to pay i had twin piston calipers with 330mm rotors fitted on the front only.