Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HDMI cord

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
We have an issue at work, we have installed an LCD 50" TV on the wall as a monitor to be used during meetings and training. I have run a 10m HDMI cord from the TV up through the ceiling and down the wall to a wall plug in the opposite corner. We use another 2m HDMI cord from a laptop to the wall plug. We use it as an extended display. It has been working fine for a couple of months.

The only thing that has changed is we took the TV off the wall to have the room painted, since putting it back, the TV will not display the correct resolution, it will only display 640x400. If we plug the short HDMI cable into the TV from the laptop, it displays fine and at the proper resolution. Has anyone come across this before?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
nope, but can you change the resolution back within the laptop settings?

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
Sounds like a faulty cable, or wiring was damaged upon being moved. Had similar experiences with a HDMI cable through the roof to a projector in our theatre that would work with just about every device except an Apple TV and something else I can't remember. swapped the cable and all was good.

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Yeah faulty or cheap/inferior HDMI cables are all too common.

I had one where HDMI-CEC wouldn't work properly. Changed to a high quality cable, problem solved!

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I moved house and had the same issue, couldn't get the resolution correct. Bought a new cable and we were back in business.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
nope, but can you change the resolution back within the laptop settings?

No, that's the thing, it only has the one option where it had multiple options previously.

I am going to get a new cord this morning and see. The last one was a cheap JB HiFi one, might have to splash out and buy a decent one.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just connected up a new cable and it works fine now. Funny thing is the cable I bought is the same as what I already had. A Belkin high speed HDMI with Ethernet. Gold plated one. Didn't realize until I pulled the old one out.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Is there any form of contamination inside the plugs of the old cable ? i.e. sanding dust, speck of paint or similar ?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Not that I could see.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Is there any form of contamination inside the plugs of the old cable ? i.e. sanding dust, speck of paint or similar ?

that's what I would be thinking, afterall I doubt any other parts than the plugs would have been contaminated.

most products now are just a throwaway when they don't work now as its not worthwhile looking into fixing them. so looks like you've done the right thing, and found the easiest fix.

also have you tried plugging the laptop in with the cable you just pulled out?
would be interesting to see if it is still faulting.