Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gasket On a 5.0 (VT)

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
mine went yesterday,

anyone have an idea of the cost i might be up for?

and is this something i could potentially do myself? , i am not a mechanic but have some skills i guess

cheers

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Fairly easy job to do yourself get a workshop manual and folloe it and you wont have a problem best to do both sides while your at it. Give yourself as few days to do it dont expect to get it done in a few hours though doing it in a day is easy enough
Vrs gasket kit will cost about $100 plus $50 odd for your manual you'll need a torque wrench aswell as some headbolt sealer and some silicon sytle sealnat though its not really necessary
Getting a mechanic to do will cost over about $1000 maybe more maybe less

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
Fairly easy job to do yourself get a workshop manual and folloe it and you wont have a problem best to do both sides while your at it. Give yourself as few days to do it dont expect to get it done in a few hours though doing it in a day is easy enough
Vrs gasket kit will cost about $100 plus $50 odd for your manual you'll need a torque wrench aswell as some headbolt sealer and some silicon sytle sealnat though its not really necessary
Getting a mechanic to do will cost over about $1000 maybe more maybe less

cheers,

being cast iron, should i still get the heads machined? ,

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
not really necessary cast iron are waay less prone to warping than alloy heads. You can check with a straight edge and feeler anything over 6thou should be machined but i'd say you should be fine just make sure you clean the surfaces up good and dont score them with big scratches or gouges.

I've done a few holden 6's and a couple v8's without machining heads and never had a problem with the head gasket blowing again

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
cheers mate

will keep you posted on my progress,

grab myself a manual tomorrow from repco & attack it later in the week

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
cheers mate

will keep you posted on my progress,

grab myself a manual tomorrow from repco & attack it later in the week

You learn a lot and you'll save a lot of money plus you'll get more satisfaction aswell remember to ask if you run into any dramas

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
You learn a lot and you'll save a lot of money plus you'll get more satisfaction aswell remember to ask if you run into any dramas

cheers

prolly take you up on that around thurs/fri next week

which manual do u recommend? , Haynes?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
gregories are better though haynes do have a couple of thign gregories dont but overall gregories

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
some say you should discard the head bolts and replace with new ones too.
totally up to you, ive done heads with and without renewing the bolts and never had any issues because of it.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
some say you should discard the head bolts and replace with new ones too.
totally up to you, ive done heads with and without renewing the bolts and never had any issues because of it.

As long as theyre not threaded or stretched i dont see a problem reusing them unless your going performance or forced induction setup then its not going to be an issue. Cleaning them is essential though getting rid of the old sealant and make sure your holes are nice and clean too.