Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head gasket or cracked head

willows

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96
I have a 96 VS I'm having issues with it's using coolent like no tomorrow, I don't have a leak in the radiator.
I filed the over flow bottle up yesterday drove probly 30ks and this morning when I moved the car there was a oil spot on the drive way about the size of my palm with a few bright green spots on top, I lifted the oil lid and found light frothy looking crap in the cap, with a few drops of water that poured out when I tilted the lid.. My dip stick isn't saying it needs oil and it's not milky looks just like oil (black & due for a service) I needed to put more coolent in today as over flow was empty.. (keep hear a gurgling noise just near the steering wheel) the car hasn't lost any power, but she hates idling the temp starts going up (pretty fast) but then as it drives she drops right back.. I've driven her 450ks from home and just wondering what do you think... She did boil once bout 3 Yrs ago but then literally sat in my yard for three yrs then I put rego on her and voilà she drove fine.. The coolent issue has started in the last month. But today I got stuck at road works and she was left idling after which pulled up and turned of car and spotted a huge puddle of watery oily crap I near slipped when I stood in it. I added water and she didn't miss a beat on the hwy for another 300ks ..
Sorry for the novel I wanted to cover it all

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
It should be reasonably evident where the oil is coming from if it's such a large amount, have a look around I don't think the 2 are connected....

I would say you might have an inlet manifold gasket problem well if like to think so anyway cause it cheaper then pulling the heads off....

Usually if head gaskets gone it will pressurise the cooling system, a compression check should help

You could also pl the plugs out and get a little inspection camera in there and look for signs of water it should be squeeky clean from the water making steam

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If you can see green stuff on the ground then it's got an external leak... hoses, water pump, welch plugs etc etc.
A little condensation under the cap at this time of year is common, as long as the oil isn't showing signs of water then i wouldn't be concerned about that.

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Willows if i was you mate i would be pulling the motor out and replacing all gaskets. I say this because of it sitting around for 3yrs then firing it back up after so long the gaskets mite have perished more. Plus it could be inlet manifold like bowen said or it could be timing chain cover gasket, inspect all around the timing chain cover after running car for 10 - 15min to see if any water is leaking out. (If thats where it is leaking from you won't be able to tell until the car has warmed up)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it sounds like it's boiling it could be a simple case of a tired radiator cap. If the cap isn't maintaining the coolant system pressure it will tend to boil quickly. It will also force coolant out of the overflow. Stuffed intake manifold gaskets are also very common leading to a loss of coolant and sludge forming under the radiator cap.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Rip the engine out because it sat for a few years and replace everything? #### that, even a crappy vr engine i have that sat for 5 years before i got it and didn't leak a drop when i finally fired it up (had some funky rattles first start but they went away after a couple of seconds)
The gaskets aren't rubber......

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Have a leak down test done first. Get a vrs and some new bolts and replace the gaskets if it reveals any problems. Once you have the inlet manifold off you're already half way there anyway.

Don't bother pulling the engine out.