Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gasket or something else???

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
Hi
I have a S1vn and today I opened the surge tank while it was still hot and it was full of white foam/bubbles. Could this be a Head gasket problem or not.

Also if it is a head gasket what kind of cost would I be looking at (parts/labour) to get it repaired.

p.s
There is no swirly marks in the coolant, no white smoke, oil looks fine and it doesn't appear to be over heating

Last edited:

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Hi
I have a S1vn and today I opened the surge tank while it was still hot and it was full of white foam/bubbles. Could this be a Head gasket problem or not.

Also if it is a head gasket what kind of cost would I be looking at (parts/labour) to get it repaired.

Check in the surge tank to see if there is any bubbles when the car is idleing and check your oil cap for any milky-like residue. Also check for coolant in your engine oil and vice-versa. Best way to know for sure is by doing a compression test. I asked a mechanic about costs when I thought I needed new head gaskets and he reckoned around $2000. Didnt end up being a problem though. I think your better off getting another motor if thats the case

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
No way.... head gaskets are ez pz in these cars?!!?

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
Cheers guys. It's goin for a service nxt wk. I'll prob let that tell me if i should get a new engine or not.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, if it's a head gasket, you're better off swapping engines. V6 motors are a dime a dozen these days. :p

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Yeah, if it's a head gasket, you're better off swapping engines. V6 motors are a dime a dozen these days. :p

his right :p the cost of a whole engine is about what it would cost you in gaskets and the rest of that crap (well not really but it would be close :p)

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
seems to be all good now lol, no bubbles and no loss of coolant so hopefully it was just nothin