Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head gasket removal and installation

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
When im do my turbo concersion in a month or so is it a nessesity to get the head machine when i put a new cometic head gasket in? And ive read somewhere, probably on here, that when putting the head back on theres a certain way to tighten it back up again?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
wow your spelling is shithouse.

It's recommended to get the heads machined when fitting a new gasket. I don't usually bother.
When reinstalling the heads there is a correct sequence and 2 step tightening for the head bolts. I recommend you get yourself a repair manual before attempting to replace the head gaskets.

Last edited:

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
wow you're spelling is shithouse.

So is your grammar ;) /trollface

Yeah get yourself a Haynes/Gergories manual, it's in there I'm pretty sure. I'd check my manual but it's in the car.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
So is your grammar ;) /trollface

Yeah get yourself a Haynes/Gergories manual, it's in there I'm pretty sure. I'd check my manual but it's in the car.

So is yours Jake... Lol

Leave it unopened. Not necessary for said gasket. It's all in the tune. Leave standard Nissan gasket.

But yes there is a sequence in torquing them up in 2 stage.
Most head gasket packets have the sequence and torque settings.

Definitely get it machined as they warp in the removal process. Not seen to the eye as its so minute.

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
wow your spelling is shithouse.

Go and suck a fat veiny dick. I was on smoko, which means eat food get a cancer stick in me then get a quick thread on JC....

Cheers jake & nath for the help

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Oh and ive already brought the gasket lol. So it needs to be done now or a few hundred dollars down the drain haha

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Sorry to sound like a pain bud but you could try selling it on eBay. Or give it a go with somebody who has done one for a little piece of mind.
If its not done correctly and torqued down correctly using a quality torque wrench u will be pulling the head again in no time.
While your at it may as well do the timing belt and water pump. Seeing that the water will be drained continue on and do the thermostat and welch plugs..
Hahah it goes on and on.

Whichever way you decide goodluck Scrusy.
I didnt change the head gasket on my convert. It's been over 3 years and a 330xxx engine the old girl loves it
Good tune makes them last. (Even though I haven't tuned it for correct afr's)

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
So is yours Jake... Lol

Leave it unopened. Not necessary for said gasket. It's all in the tune. Leave standard Nissan gasket.

But yes there is a sequence in torquing them up in 2 stage.
Most head gasket packets have the sequence and torque settings.

Definitely get it machined as they warp in the removal process. Not seen to the eye as its so minute.

exactly no need to buy the gregorys book its on the head gasket packet.but the gregorys book is a good investment