Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head gasket swap

Sambayliss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Hello can Someone tell me what tension the head bolts need to be and do I need to put gasket gule around the side or not first time doing this and I don't want to mess up it's on my a daily witch has been setting for over 3 years before I got it just want to cross ever box that can go wrong

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
If it's for the L36 Ecotec (el naturale)

Head bolts - Tighten them all to 34nm in correct sequence. Then repeat to 90nm

Goop is not recommended.

Brand new head bolts is recommended because the factory bolts are one use (they stretch)

The service manual i have actually states tighten to 34nm then set your wrench to 90nm and turn the bolts 90 degrees (if it clicks at 90nm before reaching 90 degrees then stop). If they didn't get to 90nm then turn another 90 degrees and stop at 90nm) - which is a complicated way of just torquing them to 90nm.

I have just done this job so i have a tip which you didn't ask for but might save a drama.

When your loosening the header stud nuts, crack one, loosen a bit, then tighten it back up. Do this until you've cracked em all then loosen them, obviously using some penetrant first.

If you don't do this, then you will most likely snap the last stud on each bank, because of the angle and pressure of the header on the last stud.

Snapping a header stud is a bit of a pain, although you are taking the heads off so not too hard to 'easy out'.

If you do have stuffed header studs, the thread on the head side is 5/16 unc and on the nut side is 5/16 unf.

Also... Loosen the exhaust flange nuts too, so you can get the headers out of the way. I thought i could just bend the headers out of the way, and i did, got the heads off, but couldn't get them back on like that. Wished i lifted the car and loosened the flange nuts before i pulled the motor apart, but you can reach the bolts on the flange reaching up from the side. A 13mm long shank on a few extensions was the go for that i believe.

Good luck

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Aren't the head bolt tensions and order in which they are to be done written on head gasket kits, when they are purchased? Last kit I bought about 6 months ago, for a blue 6 had them on it.....

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
need new head bolts from holden ,why muck around on a big job

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
bye a manual all info there