Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head gasket

Eric Gleeson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF International
Hi guys, i've recently had a head gasket go in my VZ executive. apparently these engines (alloy-tec) are notorious for it. I've also been told to fix it it's going to cost more than the car is even worth.
any of you guys have any information you could share about this?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
how many ks do it your self

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I wouldn’t suggest they are notorious for it. If they were there would be head gasket threads like ECU & BCM threads in VE, VF and VZ forums.

Make sure you have data on why the head gasket is gone.

We were told that, and it was the thermostat (in rear of the motor) as I suspected.

dawson8725

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
A head gasket is a gasket that sits between the engine block and cylinder head(s) in an i nternal combustion engine. Its purpose is to seal the cylinders to ensure maximum compression and avoid leakage (head gasket fix) of coolant or engine oil into the cylinders; as such, it is the most critical sealing application in any engine.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No sh it
But they are also a more reliable component on modern engines compared to what they were.

Op needs to get more info on what is failing, that leads them to diagnose head gasket. It’s unusual. Compression data, coolant pressure readings, or coolant in the oil with evidence of it.

GRONKTOO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 3.8L V6 ECOTEC
Hi guys, i've recently had a head gasket go in my VZ executive. apparently these engines (alloy-tec) are notorious for it. I've also been told to fix it it's going to cost more than the car is even worth.
any of you guys have any information you could share about this?
Hi, saw your post. yes a regular mechanic will say its more its more than the car is worth as they charge at least $50-$100per hour for an all day job plus! ho did you go? I have a similar problem But I knew about it when I paid only $250 for a VX supercharged wagon

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi, saw your post. yes a regular mechanic will say its more its more than the car is worth as they charge at least $50-$100per hour for an all day job plus! ho did you go? I have a similar problem But I knew about it when I paid only $250 for a VX supercharged wagon

Don't hear about head gaskets going on these....Hear about the LIM gasket, which presents similar symptoms to a head gasket...However if you're not mechanically minded, nor aware of this issue, mechanics have a habit of bending you over and not being polite enough to use lube.

So best bet is, if you are capable of doing the LIM gasket, or have a trust worthy mechanic, get them to look at the LIM gasket first before removing the heads...After all, the manifold has to be removed to begin with before the heads come off...(The lim gasket is the gasket between the manifold and the heads), so it's easily checked

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Don't hear about head gaskets going on these....Hear about the LIM gasket, which presents similar symptoms to a head gasket...However if you're not mechanically minded, nor aware of this issue, mechanics have a habit of bending you over and not being polite enough to use lube.

So best bet is, if you are capable of doing the LIM gasket, or have a trust worthy mechanic, get them to look at the LIM gasket first before removing the heads...After all, the manifold has to be removed to begin with before the heads come off...(The lim gasket is the gasket between the manifold and the heads), so it's easily checked

How would a intake gasket on a VZ look like a head gasket issue?
If you don't know what you're talking about maybe stop acting like a mechanic.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How would a intake gasket on a VZ look like a head gasket issue?
If you don't know what you're talking about maybe stop acting like a mechanic.

Quote from gronktoo

I have a similar problem But I knew about it when I paid only $250 for a VX supercharged wagon

Of course I don't know about the head gasket issue with the VZ, because gronktoo hasn't mentioned a VZ...So how about visiting spec savers, and get some glasses, instead of buying that next $1,000 screw driver....

And LIM gasket problems on ecotecs (Ecotecs are fitted to VX's) are a common issue, that is quite often mistaken for head gaskets....So if you were any sort of mechanic, you would be aware of it....Or are you one of those mechanics I am referring to that bend people over without the lube?

Last edited: