Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head gasket

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah thats because the commodores are V6, so the head is shorter than a straight six, which is what the falcon has. but the vl 6 is a nissan motor. same at the r31 skyline, but different head design.

just a tip on torquing down a head, put some grease around the bottom of the thread, just a little and some on the bottom of the head of the bolt so that when it it tightening there is less friction, giving the wrench a better reading, oil works too but not as well, always have your arm on a right angle on the wrench and once you start turning don't stop untill it clicks, you cant stop half way and start again.

and if you wanted to do a real good job, do it to specs, warm the engine up, let it cool and do it all again. loosen from out-in

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
yeah thats because the commodores are V6, so the head is shorter than a straight six, which is what the falcon has. but the vl 6 is a nissan motor. same at the r31 skyline, but different head design.

More than one was a laser so I don't think it's feature of just the long in line heads. Not real sure but were the early lasers the introduction of alloy heads for Ford? If so, the laser head problems could have been a function of new technology at the time.

I am interested if anyone else suspects Fords are particularly prone to blowing head gaskets.

Regards,
Ken