Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head gasket

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
Rebuilt my motor not long ago, the car hasn't even really be driven yet, just in and out of the workshop and the tihings blown a bloody head gasket. :ranting:
Does anyone know the correct torque settings for tightening the head with a copper head gasket?
Is it different to tightening a standard head gasket?
I know you are suspose to tighten then loosen and retighten to correct torque but i think i read somewhere you were suspose to tighen first, get it hot then loosen and retighten?
Any information would be much appreciated.
Thankyou.
Colin.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Copper gaskets

Rebuilt my motor not long ago, the car hasn't even really be driven yet, just in and out of the workshop and the tihings blown a bloody head gasket. :ranting:
Does anyone know the correct torque settings for tightening the head with a copper head gasket?
I know you are suspose to tighten then loosen and retighten to correct torque but i think i read somewhere you were suspose to tighen first, get it hot then loosen and retighten?
Thankyou.
Colin.

Give this number a ring, they sell copper head gaskets in all thickness's and should know what to do.. 03 59 814334:thumbsup:

I used copper H/Gaskets on motor bikes and can't ever remember loosening them!!

Last edited:

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
there are many traps in torquing down a head and theres an art in the correct use of a torque wrench
I would get someone else to do it for you

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
I know how to use a torque wrench, why would i pay someone to do it when i'm a mechanic myself? i'm just unsure what the correct torque settings are suspose to be?

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Thankyou.
Colin.

Head gasket should be re-torqued after initial run-in(started and allowed to get to running temp). Recommend using factory torque specs. Do not over torque. Allow the head and block to cool for accurate torque readings. Back off the head bolt enough to releave stress and re-torque.
Is the block or head O-ringed? and did u use Hylomar or Copper Coat adhesive?;)

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
yeah i used holymar and no not o ringed, i torqued up then loosen and retorqued but not after getting to operating temp.
i don't know whats going on witrh the motor, the oil was milky so i suspected a head gasket, but its not showing any other symtoms, no excessive oil in coolant, its not runniong worse, it might be running better every time i drive it due to the rings bedding in. not loosing coolant, did a cooling system pressure test and its not loosing all the pressure, hot, cold or overnight so i dunno whats going on, might not be head gasket???
gonna get the computer done first and see how it runs like, then keep an eye on the coolant and oil over the next couple of weeks.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
yeah i used holymar and no not o ringed, i torqued up then loosen and retorqued but not after getting to operating temp.
i don't know whats going on witrh the motor, the oil was milky so i suspected a head gasket, but its not showing any other symtoms, no excessive oil in coolant, its not runniong worse, it might be running better every time i drive it due to the rings bedding in. not loosing coolant, did a cooling system pressure test and its not loosing all the pressure, hot, cold or overnight so i dunno whats going on, might not be head gasket???
gonna get the computer done first and see how it runs like, then keep an eye on the coolant and oil over the next couple of weeks.

what did u use to seal the head bolts??
what boost will u have or max boost you'll use?:thumbsup:

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
seal the head bolts??? wjhat do ya mean? the headbolts came with some oil which i used along its length,
and boost, i dunno yet probaly round the 15psi mark for driving round and a bit more if i want maybe 22-23 max

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
seal the head bolts??? wjhat do ya mean? the headbolts came with some oil which i used along its length,
and boost, i dunno yet probaly round the 15psi mark for driving round and a bit more if i want maybe 22-23 max

Are you using studs or head bolts??
You can get coolant bypass the threads on the head studs and leak inside the rocker cover. If coolant disappers and you can't find where it might be that..
Finally with a copper head gasket it should be used with o-rings on anything that's got 8psi or more..:thumbsup:

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Blown head ganket on a holden?
Don't hear that much but I guess it can happen on anything.

Interestingly I have heard this a lot with Fords and all different models too.
In fact, thinking about it, I don't know any Ford owners who havn't had one. Talking cars with this guy at work the other day, found he has a Ford. Commented on the Ford/head gasket thing. Guess what, him too. He's going to buy another Ford though.

Hmm no intelligent life on this planet or is it just Ford drivers???
;-)

Ken