Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gsakets??????????????

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
I personally have never had any problems with using MLS head gaskets rebuilding diesels, and probably wont have any problem with them in an ecotec. I wonder if the ones having problems are doing something wrong when they install and torque them down.

Are the cometics from zzp the ones with or without the sealing rings for the water jackets delco ?????
Thats where i am buying all my rebuild parts from.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I used MLS from ZZP with no problems. In fact they are being reused for the third time...

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
the engine builders ive been talking to about my heads have both recommended Fel-Pro PermaTorqueSD head gaskets...they have a sealing ring around the bore edges acting like the block has been oringed (terracharger only has 8psi pulley anyway)...and the rest composite and with some spray hylomar will seal around water jackets etc no probs...they have had probs with sealing MLS type gaskets on holden blocks since the factory machining isnt dead perfect smooth and i aint pulling the block out to have machined just to run cometic gaskets...plus cometics at repco was quoted at $289 each and felpro was $210 a pair...let me see $580 plus machine block or $210 and a can of spray hylomar...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i think no matter what gaskets you use. you have to let em settle some before abusing them with lots of boost. just look at the 300,000km stock V6 gaskets are tough as, yet you fit some brand new stock gaskets and they blow on the first pull with boost......

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Yeah i have decided on cometics and ARP head studs, i'll just have to suck it up if i ever have to change head gaskets or something like that.

I just took a set of heads in the the machinist to get the valves and seats reground and heads skimmed, he was shocked when i said i was running cometic head gaskets with " WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THIS ENGINE" he understood when i told him what i was doing.