Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gsakets??????????????

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Head Gaskets??????????????

Hi,

I am torn between head gasket composition and then where to get them from.

What is better for turbo application COMETIC mls or ACL mls or ACL copper head gaskets ???

I have heard of people having troubles with the cometic gaskets sealing, is this the case with them??

WHERE IS EVERYONE GETTING THEIRS FROM?????????

My local supplier is trying to rip me blind for ACL gaskets (not knowing i can get cometics from zzp waaaaaay cheaper than he's quoting.)

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Ok i got someone on here some acl copper head gaskets they didnt seal for him and theres a lot of people that have trouble with them personally techs come alot futher now and i suggest going MLS.

Why do people have trouble with MLS gaskets? It's because of surface finish on heads block most people prolly just rip the old ones out clean them up a bit then throw MLS on. Thats got a very high chance of failure you can reduce with something like hylomar.

But do it once do it right. Freshly machined surface for MLS will have no troubles sealing

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
ACL and Cometic MLS gaskets are one and the same. All MLS gaskets should be treated with Copper spray imo and experience prior to fitting. Reason being is to adhere/ seal any surface imperfections..............no matter how minute or seemingly undetectable.

Matchport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Ute
We O ring all our blocks during the machining process, copper for MLS and S.S wire for copper head gasket, boost is not a problem anymore.
and yes you do need to prep.

NOT 38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
when we built my 4.2 stroker i used cometic mls from mr gasket co, block was decked and heads were shaved all surfaces were prepped by jack bros, leaked after 15 seconds of first start up, rang them and got new ones sent out free of charge, installed the new gaskets. and again leaked not long after start up. FAIL. so now i use the acl composite gaskets and have not had a prom with them. keep in mind the blower is running close to 15psi.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
when we built my 4.2 stroker i used cometic mls from mr gasket co, block was decked and heads were shaved all surfaces were prepped by jack bros, leaked after 15 seconds of first start up, rang them and got new ones sent out free of charge, installed the new gaskets. and again leaked not long after start up. FAIL. so now i use the acl composite gaskets and have not had a prom with them. keep in mind the blower is running close to 15psi.

Yet again another story of how the cometics have leaked, i am starting to worry about shelling out nearly 200 bucks for them only to have them fail..........
Has anyone used the felpro mls gaskets??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
stock head gaskets with standard head bolts can handle 15psi........ use head studs and you will get more out of them.

at the end of the day what would you rather failed first, the head gaskets or something more expensive because with MLS gaskets you will break a piston crown long before you blow a gasket unless you use forged slugs

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
I have been told by my tuner thet i'll be changing composite gaskets every 3 or 4 months, i really dont know what to do.

If i spend the dollars on cometics and they leak i have blown 200 bucks.
But
If i buy composite gaskets and they blow somewhere inconvenient i'll be pissed......

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
cometic MLS it and headstuds youll never look back make sure you retorque them after a heat cycle or 2 of no boost use.make sure you get the correct version as well some dont have sealing beads round the water jackets in the right place but still fit perfectly on the engine head studs.some people fit dry with no problems some have issues and the same can be said for coating each layer with copper spray.put some holden radiator tablets in the radiator will stem any slight weeps if there is any even the V8 guys have the odd seep for a week or 2 when they fit them but it normally stops by itself.composite wont last very long at all we blew a set in 1 day even though the tune was good we only had the heads off for stem seals and valve LAP .stock gaskets that have been on for 300000km are damn hard to blow

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Mate i worked at an Engine reconditioner. We built literally hundreds of motors with MLS gaskets without any failures (90% of manufacturers use them nowadays) There's absolutely nothing wrong with them if they dont seal then your doing something wrong.

Composite are always going to blow somewhere inconvenient. It'd be a PITA to keep pulling it down to change them once a month or whatever