Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head issues...

calaisman

P.I.M.P.
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim
hey people! just bought this new head unit and got a mate to help install it but im starting to regret not gettin it done by a pro.:whistling we had trouble gettin it in the dash, my mate said "what the f****, ive never seen that in a vs before"..behind where the cd player and stuff goes i have a black plastic shelf, kinda which curved up and made mounting the cd player hard..anyway jus thought id tell ya and ask if anyone else had the same prob...or if my mates jus dumb and dodgy. in the end there was a few gaps on the sides and the surround wouldnt fit around it but i got some pics...

Attachments

• IMG057.JPG
    IMG057.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG056.JPG
    IMG056.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 164

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
didnt the deck come with like a face surround, it helps fill some of the gaps

calaisman

P.I.M.P.
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim
thanks for the quick response! it did come with a surround but thats what wouldnt fit cos the head unit isnt sittin right...i dunno, my mates dumb. im gonna take it to a pro and get it re-done anyone know someone decent in s.a. ???

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
sounds like the "plastic shelf that curves up" is the A/C airbox. All VN-VS have them.

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
To get it to sit right you need to drill out the stock bracket, have you done this at all? Just line it up to where it fits well, mark where to drill, secure it in, its not really that hard to do yourself. By far the hardest bit is the wiring, and if you have no trouble doing that then it should be a breeze :)

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
To get it to sit right you need to drill out the stock bracket, have you done this at all? Just line it up to where it fits well, mark where to drill, secure it in, its not really that hard to do yourself. By far the hardest bit is the wiring, and if you have no trouble doing that then it should be a breeze :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I installed my new headunit 2 weeks ago and I did exactly that. Just take the stock brackets, drill out the new holes corresponding to the headunit, then fit it into the car. 99% of the time there should ALWAYS be space for the surround to cover the gaps, so just keep adjusting the brackets until it all fits properly. Easiest thing to do is once you've put the unit in put just the black surround back to make sure it mounts properly, if not then change the bracket's position.