Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head light problem help

stateo 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vs serries111 statesman 5.0
gday guys
hav a problem with my headlights(98 vs stateo)
driving the other night with my hibeams then one blow but it also cut the low beams out so i only had one hi beam so i replaced the other but when i have the low beam on they work fine but when i flick it to hi beams only the hi beam comes on no low beam, but if i pull the stalk back eg to flash someone the all work fine(hi and low) whats with that?? any help greatly appreciated cheers guys

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
I'd be checking the headlight relays, sounds like ones a bit burned or something (you using higher wattage globes than standard 55/60's).

Tim

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds more like a stalk problem to me....this is a know problem area....the stalk gets sloppy due to wear.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Mate your problem is going to be the FOG LIGHT RELAY. The ground for the lights go through the fog light relay. I had the exact same problem, and it was really annoyed me. I went through everything and eventually got a wiring diagram out and found the fog light relay. Its a 5 pin relay. You can either get a new one from holden for $15ish or just make a wire connection between the appropiate pin (cant remember exactly which one) and ground.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
kopper69 said:
Mate your problem is going to be the FOG LIGHT RELAY. The ground for the lights go through the fog light relay. I had the exact same problem, and it was really annoyed me. I went through everything and eventually got a wiring diagram out and found the fog light relay. Its a 5 pin relay. You can either get a new one from holden for $15ish or just make a wire connection between the appropiate pin (cant remember exactly which one) and ground.
Maybe they've changed with the VS Statesman series - the VS manual (Gregorys) shows a 4 pin relay for the fog lights and each hi/low beam relay having its own earth.

VNBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNBT1
G'day guys, I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the GMH legends who posted their knowledge which helped me out.

During the hours of darkness I turned on my headlights to find that I had no low beam. I checked fuses, even pulled out the globes etc to find no luck.

I checked out this wicked sight and found some advise that solved my problem.

I changed over the L/Beam relay with the Horn Relay and whammo. Low Beam Headlights again.

Thanks People, I am now a member of this fantastic forum.

Cheers.