Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head mods

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
Just wonderin what others ideas about head mods are, first of what will the major difference be between the low and high compression blue heads be besides the compression and would it be worthwhile polishing the chamber area aswell as the ports

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Low comp heads are an open chamber design which will breath a bit better than the High comp head but you loose a bit of power down low in the rev range. Low comp heads also use a bit more fuel. For the ports, just use a manifold gasket as a template and open up the inlet ports to the same size as the holes in the gasket. Take your valves out and round off the bottom of the port where it goes into the valve bowl area under the valve then grind your valve guides so they are a bit thinner, then get a good 3 angle valve grind.

stroke it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC,VK, VN
Black/blue heads dont need too much work untill you start getting serious, they'll flow around 190 horsepower anyway. I'd go for the 3 angle grind for sure.
I wouldnt polish the chamber but i'd smooth it out, go for around 9.5:1 compression.
Use a Crow 35667 cam with that moderate head work.