Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head unit advice with steering wheel controls

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I'm after some recommendations on head units I can fit into my VZ and keep the steering wheel controls without using the device that sends the signals through the remote control.

Also, with a new HU, will volume and source changes etc show up on the instrument cluster display as it does with the Blaupunkt?

Cheers.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Do you definitely want to change your head unit? Do you know about the Phreddy mod to the Blaupunkt which gives you low level (RCA) outputs?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
To answer your question - yes, only the stock head unit will retain the ability to send signals to your instrument cluster.

The big question is really what functionality you want from your head unit. If you just want to be able to run amplifiers, and have an auxiliary input, then Phreddy's mod is definitely worth considering...particularly since you're obviously concerned with maintaining stock functions.

If you're after additional functions like bluetooth, DVD or MP3 playback, amplifier control, time correction and equalisation then you're not going to be happy with mods to the stock head unit. You will have to do without the instrument cluster readouts though.

The rest of the choice is up to you. I understand some aftermarket head units (Alpine and/or Clarion I think) have direct remote inputs that are compatible with factory controllers. Less compatible head units can receive signals from the CAT09 or CAT10 either via a wired plug or IR.

I'm using a CAT10 with an aftermarket head unit and I'm quite happy with the results...I get the functions I want and I can still use the factory steering wheel controls. I didn't miss the instrument cluster readout for more than a couple days - I have a 7-inch TFT colour screen for that kind of thing :)...

scoMale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I mentioned this on another post - but it is just as valid here:

Some Clarion head units suggest they come with:
"OEM steering wheel remote"

I wonder if that means the signal from the steering wheel can connect directly to the stereo?

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? (ie. Holden steering wheel controls are OEM? - W.T.F. is OEM?)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Original Equipment Manufacturer.

I would be VERY surprised if the Clarion supported the Holden steering wheel button signals. I think they're more likely to refer to "larger scale" production cars - in the big picture among the "bigger" manufacturers, production numbers of Commodores are very low by comparison.

Worth a try I guess, but don't be too bummed if it doesn't work and you have to buy the CAT anyway....

Cheerz!

PS - G'day Dave, Klaw... :thumbsup:

scoMale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Thanks for the quick response Phreddy - I found this (limited) info on Clarion's UK site:
Clarion UK | OEM steering wheel remote control

Which, if you follow the 'Connector Chart' link, shows the Holden connector as "Type A". It lists a bunch of compatible cars (unfortunately Commodores are yet to break the UK market eh...), and the connectors that they have.

I am almost prepared to buy a Clarion unit and try this out - wire up a cable from the steering + and - wires to a minijack input.

It would be great if anyone can confirm if this works before I blow $$$ on a Stereo though...

I am concerned that the CAT will not work with the new Clarion stereos - it is only compatible with remotes RCB130 & RCB161 - and the latest stereos are remote: RCB-176. Could this be because you don't need a CAT?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
No problem Mate.

Be aware though that many head units use that same connector type, it doesn't necessarily mean that they employ the same data stream for remote control.

As I said, it's probably worth a try - but yeh, it would be nice to get some confirmation that it does actually work! ;)

Best of luck Bloke! :thumbsup:

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys,

I have been sending few emails to PAC Audio - Asked in this thread was a question what is OEM. Actually there was a manufacturer of head units called "OEM", so when it lists they support OEM units it doesn't mean original equipment or "stock" ones, but "OEM" branded ones as there was a brand called OEM.

I'm wondering, has anybody gotten the VR/VS Commodore steering wheel controls to work with aftermarket units, I've been told that they don't generate resistances but send pulses down a wire. Is there any way to get this to work with aftermarket units?

Thanks.

MayhemOfHell

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice V8 LS1
Another option

I know this is a somewhat older thread... but inregards to the IR-LED issue... as with most people i agree this is not ideal... It works but still leaves room or small issues... Dust/movement/lifetime and so on..

A simple fix is to wire/replace the IR-LED setup with a simple connection. hardwire the two LED's with a TTL/CMOS circuit.

Other options are about... as for the dash input/readout... this is possible if u want to spend time on it... and something i will be working on in a few months from now...

in the end,,, its just a case of decoding the output from the old head unit... there maybe a few reasons this cant be done.. but until someone has tried... we wont know...

so when i get to it... will simply start reading the headunit into a serial tx/rx and see how it goes... anyone who has done any of this... ne headups before i bother?

marcwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe Sedan 1996
One can add some fibreoptic cable (Audio Optic) between the IR Led and reciever and this will never get dusty