Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head unit fuse problem.

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
Hey,

Got in my car the other day and turned it on and the head unit didnt turn on at all. Which is unusual because it was working the night before.

Im quite sure its blown the fuse. Atleast i hope its a fuse, cos im trying to sell the car. The question im asking is - would the head unit have its own fuse inside the dash? I checked all the fuses in the engine bay just incase the head unit was linked to one of them somehow. Theyre all fine.

Cheers.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Pull the panel under the steering wheel, radio fuses under there. Check cig lighter, the sleeve occasionally comes loose and shorts out. Cant remember if radio is on same fuse

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
Cheers man, just remembered that the cig lighter sleeve is actually loose. Ill suss it all out after work.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
In answer to your question about the stereo having its own fuse.....

Depending on the brand, most namebrand aftermarket units will have a small blade fuse at the back of the unit itself, near the plug. Others might have a nasty "inline" fuse in the wiring harness.