Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Unit Removal

nvs_sle

Selling 20's and Stereo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Caprice
Hey all,
i know this question is stupid and could have been asked a few times, but i hear that the stock radio's ar a b*tch to get out! JUst wondering on what the quikest and easiest way to get the old radio out is, as i dont wanna have to start pulling my dash apart like ive heard of some people doing to get it out.
Cheers guys and sorry about another topic on this!

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
you have to pull the dash apart to get access to the security screw they have. there's a plate screwed to the back of the HU and then screwed to the metal ribbing behind the dash. you can either try and undo it with an angled screwdriver a fraction of a turn at a time or just use a hammer and chisel like installers do.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
cheers bangers, but there surely has to be an easier way than to pull the dash apart! anyone done it any differently?

Not that i've heard of mate.

And as far as the clips holding the unit in, 2 hacksaw bladesground into a

________
___/
(____________ etc

shape in the inlets on the side and she'll pop right out after the screws been taken out

LTHL_1

Reaction score
theres not really an easy way to take the dash apart there F@$ked

nvs_sle

Selling 20's and Stereo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Caprice
can any of u guys maybe give me a little guide of the easiest way to do it, cause i mean pulling the whole dash apart to maybe realise i only need to remove certain sections will realy p*ss me off...haha..anyway thanks for the help so far guys

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Remove all the pieces surronding the current radio. Might not need to, cant remember but either way its better than splitting a piece of brittle plastic.

As for removing the old radio there is a security screw behind it and to the top i believe which, once a piece of trim is removed you can get a ruler into the gap (metal of course) and give it a good whack with a hammmer and it should sheer off.

Then just insert the clips (as shown above, about 3 posts) or like crafted ones, and push and it should trigger the spring releases.

This is how i did it, didnt break any of my dash at all and radio still works fine

Or the other way is to get the biggest flat bladed screwdriver you have, a hammer and take to the radio and smash the ****er into bits
:w00t:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Or the other way is to get the biggest flat bladed screwdriver you have, a hammer and take to the radio and smash the ****er into bits
:w00t:

not the best way but hey vice grips worked wonders for me:thumbsup: chomp chomp, rip its internals out

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Gee, quite a savage approach:yeah:

lol:D

Love-it:thumbsup: Crikey, I can just see you blokes smashin the **** out of that old player:D I've been wanting to do that for about, err 7 years:whistling