Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head unit - steering control wiring query

PeterQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Crewman Cross8 HSV
Where does the steering wheel control connector actually connect? Can't see anything to fit the connector on the adaptor. What is the mystery white connector in the background of the picture of behind-the-dash?
Once I get the console replaced I'd like to get this all connected and working, screw/clip it back into place, and have it all working...

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well it looks like a after market head unit so it wont be the same harness as the original, the mystery plug is probably the ECU plug to original head unit. Just a guess as all the electrical tape on the harness. You will need to get a steering wheel control module for that head unit to get them working.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
one way might be if you want everything to work as it should is maybe buy a genuine NOS stereo from holmart
otherwise i do not envy you trying to figure out that mess to get everything to work.

Petef

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy v8 calais
Hi guys just a question as i have the vy Calais its got the factory amp and subs and head unit in it now the head unit isnt playing cds so i was wondering if i go aftermarket stereo and get the plugs so i dont cut the wiring will tje factory amp and subs still work

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You don’t cut the wiring. Get the correct adaptor loom and it’s plug and play.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Depends on your unit you buy, most after market head units have a sub out rca plug their for it depends on the vy head unit, I know it has the plugs down the back left bottom but not sure if they have the sub out or if they use speaker out, His a link that has the 4 choices maybe someone else knows about the sub and amp, ps I don't see it mentioned in the kits so I'm assuming the factory unit using speakers as its source, If it was me I would get rid of it and run new shallow mount subs and a mono amp using 4ohms instead of that crap Holden use, those 2ohms are a disgrace. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw0fM7UJXSmvWfbwGMeCP54Y&ust=1579787298738770

Petef

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy v8 calais
Depends on your unit you buy, most after market head units have a sub out rca plug their for it depends on the vy head unit, I know it has the plugs down the back left bottom but not sure if they have the sub out or if they use speaker out, His a link that has the 4 choices maybe someone else knows about the sub and amp, ps I don't see it mentioned in the kits so I'm assuming the factory unit using speakers as its source, If it was me I would get rid of it and run new shallow mount subs and a mono amp using 4ohms instead of that crap Holden use, those 2ohms are a disgrace. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjp-YDPrJfnAhVPwjgGHc-tB5MQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https://aerpro.com/vehicles/holden/holden-commodore-2003-2004-vy-series-ii&psig=AOvVaw0fM7UJXSmvWfbwGMeCP54Y&ust=1579787298738770
Thanks mate