Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head unit stuck in demo mode

onni

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
hello

having some trouble with the head unit i just installed
it's a kenwood kdc-mp239
it comes in a default demo mode.. where the units features are continually scrolled across the screen..
anyway.. the manual says how to take it off demo mode.. but it doesnt respond when the steps are taken.. same thing happens when i try to set the clock..

any ideas of how to fix this? or has this happened to anyone else?

dazza65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Did you manage to fix this ? I have the same problem

Daz

hello

having some trouble with the head unit i just installed
it's a kenwood kdc-mp239
it comes in a default demo mode.. where the units features are continually scrolled across the screen..
anyway.. the manual says how to take it off demo mode.. but it doesnt respond when the steps are taken.. same thing happens when i try to set the clock..

any ideas of how to fix this? or has this happened to anyone else?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
hmm...a lot of units have to be switched off but ignition on for these functions to work. Without knowing kenwood like the back of my hand I'm not sure but have tried the process with the deck switched off?

Reaction score
hmm...a lot of units have to be switched off but ignition on for these functions to work. Without knowing kenwood like the back of my hand I'm not sure but have tried the process with the deck switched off?

or with it switched on? :p lol

they'll normally only display the demo with them turned off.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
or with it switched on? :p lol

they'll normally only display the demo with them turned off.

No, switched off. Many units have their initial setting menu only accessible from the unit being off. Pioneers require the unit to be off and either the FUNCTION or SOURCE button to be held while the unit is off to get into the initial settings.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Sony is the same...as is newer Clarion units. Not a Kenwood dealer though so have not had much experience with them...I can't even figure out how to set the time on them. I still have one in my sound board and when it gets shut off I wait until midday to turn it back on! LOL

I

Ic3y Dragon

I just got this 2 days ago and yeah I had this problem and I HAVE THE SOLUTION after a bit of mucking around.

You need to enter MENU mode. To do this you press the little search button next to the volume knob. What you do is hold that button for about 1-2 seconds. It will then come up with menu demo on. I think you press the volume knob and it will go off :)

It is stupid to have them come with demo on but I guess they want to advertise their products and tell you its features.

Otherwise I have found this headunit very good so far running my speakers off a Response Amp. :)

Still fiddling around with the best equaliser settings.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yea, that's the way to do it on the Sony's too (check your manual for exact instructions on how to get to the menu).

RowdyRoddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS2
Yea, that's the way to do it on the Sony's too (check your manual for exact instructions on how to get to the menu).

I tried this with my Sony XR-C2600 unit which is also stuck in demo mode, BUT didn't work. It was already installed in my VTii when i bought it second hand, it came with a manual(2000 model) but mentions nothing about this stooopid function which kicked in when i started having starting/battery problems with car itself.

My unit has a separate 'menu' button, which normally you can access when the unit is on. Tried holding 'it' down as mentioned for 1-2 secs, even up to 10 secs and still no-go.

Have tried holding down the 'source', 'menu', 'funtion', 'skip/right' & 'off' buttons but again still 'no worky' :bang:

I KNOW there is a fix for this (multiple buttons perhaps?) because after resigning myself to not having a stereo that worked i gave up and drove around without it working for 3 mnths. I booked the car in for a service at my local Holden dealer and when I got it back WOW! it was working again, spoke to the service manager about who worked on it and how'd they get it out of demo mode and he said that after talking to technician he had no answer.

So it either fixed itself (yeah right) or most likely someone else did some of the service as well and knew how to fix it.

Can anyone pluuzzz help, I'm going crazy searching the net looking for a fix :cry:

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR caprice 5ltr, VK group 3 rep 5ltr
kenwoods actualy have a reset button on the face pannel (mines under the volume controll) hold that in for a few seconds with a pen or sumthin and that should fix it as i had this problem with mine