Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head units

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Not sure if i should post this here or in the car audio section, but in my VX, its a real pain to get my pioneer head unit to go in all the way, i have to really push hard while hitting it with something to even get it close to all the way in.

Did anyone else have this problem when going with aftermarket headunits?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You might find that the aerial connects on the opposite side to the original head unit. You might need to modify the rear of the cradle where the aerial plug is hitting it.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
The cradle - where the unit goes in - has raised creases. Have a look/feel around inside the cradle. Maybe cut/grind it down.

whatever3690

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Equip
mine has the same problem... the other option would be to cut little bit out of the back of the double din and push the wires down the back... might do the trick.... im gonna have a go at mine next weekend... otherwise, deal with it, or mould your dash out to surround it... good luck

Johnny_VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comm S2
I have a pioneer and mine sits perfectly, didn't have to modify anything.

As already said above, cutting the back away where it's touching will probably be your easiest and best bet. :thumbsup:

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
yeah will have to give it a go, just hope i dont screw anything else up in the process. thanks guys

sprocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec SII
Yeh mate of mine had the same issue, he put the HU on the bottom rather than the top, and put a coin tray thing on the top. Dosn't look as good though.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I had a good look at mine not to long ago when I installed my headunit. I swear the cradle narrows at the rear, hence trouble pushing it all the way in. I could get mine 3/4 of the way there but no further and it wasn't the wiring either.

I ended up removing the mounting bracket off the stereo (the one with the pull up tabs for pressure mounting).

I then screwed some small metal tabs (made from a hose clamp with a hole at one end) into the sides towards the faceplate. You will notice in a VT that there are some large vetical rectangular holes with the double din cage.

With these tabs on the stereo, just push forward and it should clip in when the tabs go into the holes in the cage.

If I want to pull the stereo out I have to remove the trim at the base of the trans tunnel to gain access to the tabs, I push them in and walla, stereo out.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Yeh mate of mine had the same issue, he put the HU on the bottom rather than the top, and put a coin tray thing on the top. Dosn't look as good though.

I did mine the same way, I reckon it is better because I can rest my hand on the gear stick while I adjust the stereo controls