Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head upgrades

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you only want to make power before 4,000rpm do not bother with the heads. Just add boost.
Toying with the head flow and cam duration will just move the torque curve forward in the rev range.
You could get a small centrifugal supercharger for not much add a real time tuning connector and 2 bar map sensor and get it tuned.

I am considering a small SC but I am also mindful the valve springs have an unknown mileage on them as does the seats. I'm keen to reco the heads regardless and have a valve seat reshape, plus compression bump. As for porting I am undecided as i need to talk this over with the machinist. He may just suggest smoothing out the bumps. My plan is to have a good base to go boost if I decide too. I have new chain and gears, new crank bearings all round. So figure the next step is gaining some comp. But then need to decide how much as yeah too much might cause problems if I do indeed decide I want boost.
On a side note I have what I believe is some lifter noise, possibly from bleed as it goes away after 50 - 60 seconds. So yeah it's mani off anyway so not much more to slip heads off, I'm thinking.

My skill level is enough to fit new heads but ensuring I have optimum mani port alignment is probably something I will help with. I may be able to find someone to help check the latter but I may not be able to either.

But yeah as DD no use having it go like a bastard once I hit 4k, I'd only get done for hooning...

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Don't worry too much about port alignment that only matters on race engines and gains you like 2%.
Don't worry about much other than springs and piston ring gap if going boost.
If you dyno your engine now and add boost it will make the exact same power and torque curve just higher up on the graph. Say if you cam it and loose heaps of bottom end torque with boost that exact same curve will exist just higher up on the graph.

What this means is optimise your engine for low end torque add boost and you'll have a big smile.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Watch this. Watch other videos he does he has some where he compares stock engines with boost then adds cams and heads.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Okay here what he said at around the 4 min mark. If your engine makes more power N/A it will make more under boost. It goes the same for torque if you make more torque down low N/A you will under boost.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well maybe I can fit the heads myself and save myself 5-6 hrs labour. I have been told by the machinist that just need to make sure manifold bolts line up when fitting it back on. Not sure about boost as I'm loving the economy I get. Having an SC suck some power to create more power seems a bit counterproductive. Turbo would be awesome but I don't know that I could get it all set up, I don't think I have enough skill for that. With boost I need to find a tuner as well, don't think Boost Automotive does memcal. I have a tuner in Hackam SA but would have to somehow fit the kit and then take a casual drive from the coast to him to tune. Or pay him to mess around fitting and tuning. I think with simple head upgrade I should be able to stick with current tune as it's pretty close to optimum for what I can get from V6 Buick. Tiny bit lean on WOT on max revs but that can soon be adjusted if I go back to the bloke in Hackam and have him make some adjustments. It's a Mace tune not dynoed but bloke reckons I would struggle to get it much better tune wise with current mods.
He also said it's a tiny bit restrictive at WOT at max revs not sure how to sort that but not really a concern right now.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Turbo is not that hard there should be a manifold kit out there somewhere then just buy a VS racing turbo from summit and get a real rime tuneable memcal insert Delcowizzard should be able to help you there. Even get a haltec GM platnium sport plug and play but thats overkill tbh.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A turbo would be better than SC might have a bit of lag but it wouldn't cost me power to make power and I'd think economy wise a turbo would be close to what I have now.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A turbo would be better than SC might have a bit of lag but it wouldn't cost me power to make power and I'd think economy wise a turbo would be close to what I have now.

Tbh I've never looked into the economy of a supercharger but my guess is it won't cost you any. Yea it uses more power than a turbo true but I don't think you will loose any economy.

I'm going nitrous on my VS because when I need a squirt it'll be there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nitrous that would be awesome but I'd want full rebuild with upgraded internals before I'd chance it. I'd love to go 100% meth but cost per km would be insane but it would go alright.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
one would think logically that with turbo/supercharger = more air = more fuel = ratsheet economy obviously :)