Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head upgrades

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't think it quite works like that. I know an SC sucks some power to drive it, to create extra power. Can't remember if an SC uses 25% of it gains to actually drive it but it's something like that. More load on the engine means less economy.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
one would think logically that with turbo/supercharger = more air = more fuel = ratsheet economy obviously :)
A turbocharger uses waste heat to spin the compressor so at low rpm you actually get a pumping gain.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
It's clear your mind is made up with the head work so go that way.

As for not having the skills you've proven you have decent mechanical understanding so don't undercut yourself.

I did a turbo kit on my inline 6 falcon when I was 20 after only having changed oil in a car prior. I just jumped on forums reading and asking questions just as you already do.

But if you want heads done then do then and dont worry if people keen suggesting engine swaps. Same deal with a 304 and everyone harping on LS swaps. I never will.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I think Losh needs to just drop a 5L V8 in the old girl and stop trying to destroy the V6 with extra horsepower, save going bigger every few months.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I love the Holden V8 as opposed to LS. They have a unique sound with the right set up. I've been told fit V8 and bin the V6 but like you say if you're happy with what you have, then why not stick with it? V8 would be nice but unless it's factory fitted it works out cheaper to buy a whole new car with one already fitted than mess around pulling 6 and fitting an 8.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think Losh needs to just drop a 5L V8 in the old girl and stop trying to destroy the V6 with extra horsepower, save going bigger every few months.
V8s have their set of problems and retrofitting is a costly exercise. I'm happy with what I have and I find it rather fun increasing the HP of the V6.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
V8s have their set of problems and retrofitting is a costly exercise. I'm happy with what I have and I find it rather fun increasing the HP of the V6.
Long as your internal parts are upgraded as well or over time it will self destruct.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Long as your internal parts are upgraded as well or over time it will self destruct.
Yep and like I said already, I have have new, stronger timing gear, both crank bearings new new stronger rockers and will have fresh heads. The stock piston handle mild boost ok and I can only assume they are in good nic because I only go through 1/2 a litre if that of oil every 5k change. Be nice to replace cam bearings but no one here AFAIK can do that with the engine in. It
would have to go to the machine shop for such a job.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Nah just add boost losh.
Like I said whatever your graph looks like add boost on that setup and it'll look identicle just further up on the power scale.