Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head upgrades

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Starting to think about the next engine mod I want and it's the heads from my spare engine. Few questions though. I need to know how much I can shave the heads before i have preload issues. Most of the rockers have around 1/3 - 1/2 a turn but some have 3/4. How much can i safely shave off without looking for new rods? Also I don't want to go sick on comp, incase i decide I want boost down the track. Other question is on porting what should I tell the bloke I want as i don't want to lose much bottom end. Should I have anything done to the intake manifold or just leave that? I'm sure I will have more questions as I get closer to dropping the heads off.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I read somewhere weeks ago around 30 Thou before you start needing to change the lifting rods to allow tolerance .
You doing the work or getting the mechanics to do it bar the milling of coarse.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Merv Gray will do all the machining. I may or may not rip the heads off and refit haven't decided. Depends on how much time i have. Me doing the job three days no ute. Mech does the job i can drop it off before work and pick it up the same day.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've sent you a message with the details of a mate, that has been involved with speedway engines for 30+ years...He currently has a V6 powered wingless sprint car he built himself.

Hope it helps you

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
[QUOTE="losh1971, post: 3074945, Also I don't want to go sick on comp, incase i decide I want boost down the track.

Boost = supercharger?

Was told = ok ls1 verious v6 but same principles = spend money on forged bottom end and increase boost = better than spending heaps on heads , although it would ultimately I think depend on the heads efficiently along with a hole lot more variables including the cam

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
[QUOTE="losh1971, post: 3074945,

Boost = supercharger?

Was told = ok ls1 verious v6 but same principles = spend money on forged bottom end and increase boost = better than spending heaps on heads , although it would ultimately I think depend on the heads efficiently along with a hole lot more variables including the cam
Boost yeah SC, probably doubtful if I will ever go boost unless I fit a small SC14. The cost is too great for anything decent. I'm not looking for cam at this stage as the front end and sump has already been off once. The Mace rockers are doing a pretty good job. I guess could get a cam with more duration as I'd have to go shorter rods if I went with a larger cam, which defeats the purpose of 1.9 rockers.
I'm thinking heads are the next "logical" thing, even though nothing is logical even a V8 for a DD, in the end it's all wasted money lol.
With NA I can go some extra comp, and a freshen up of the heads will help ensure they are working as well as they can. Plus the benefit of reshaping the valves and seats and some mild porting. This would be something I'd do even if I did eventually go boost. Valve springs are probably a tad soft anyway for my hi ratio rockers.
The thing I do like so far with the mods I have done is economy wise it has improved by around 3lph, and yet I probably have an extra 30kw more than what I started with when I bought the ute a few years back. I'm thinking head upgrades will increase the KW but won't sacrifice economy.
Talking to the dyno tuner and he reckons I am maxed out on the intake side. He said if I go anymore HP I may need to address the restrictions I am seeing at WOT just before it peaks. Thing is I was of the understanding that my current set up even a standard V6 TB wouldn't be a restriction and I am running a 304 TB, which takes me by surprise as I am not sure what to change in order to increase the air that comes in.

Last edited:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Need more throttle ?
Just add another.

bodys (3).JPG

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think he means your manifold is next restriction..volume or distribution issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Think he means your manifold is next restriction..volume or distribution issue
Yeah not sure because @delcowizzid posted some results of his and he has stock manifold. What are you thinking I need to do? I can port the manifold but you lose torque I am lead to believe, which is kinda pointless on a DD. No use me trading bottom end for extra HP at 4k. I rarely get it over 3k.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
TBH not sure if there are cost effective mods left...you either go turbo or go all in naturally aspirated.

Burnout fiends do twin throttles while back in the SC days peeps were adding volume to manifolds.

Think the Delco engine was tuned/built to serve different purpose like speedway(?)

Years ago a mate of mine did the heads for v6 vengence...went 3-4 tenths quicker down 1/4 yet showed only a small gain in torque on dyno.
Apparently was a tonne more on street despite being clapped out stocker engine,leaking rear main stock intake & biggest off the shelf cam Scotty could jam in it.

Basically are once cammed with suitable cr manifold will hold them back.