Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] Head work for my 202i

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
Hey guys
So I'm starting to plan the head work for my 202 Now i have the time
A few questions, I was going to get crow cam, but it asks hydraulic or solid..?
What one do I chose

And what do you guys think I should do to the engine?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Talk to an engine builder about building a 5L, a hot 202 will cost you was much as a mild 5L and the 5L will be better on fuel, be more reliable, better to drive and last longer.

You will be wasting your money on a 202.

Having said that, building a 202 or any motor for that matter is like a jigsaw every part will interact with each other first before you start asking anything what do you want to do witht he car and what driveline will it have.Is not just working the head, you will pick up on some areas and loose out in others and you wont get the full benifit of your money spent.

what gearbox
what diff
what wheels & tyres
will it be a daily driver or a weekend warrior?
how hard do you want to rev it?

You pick a cam based on the RPM range you will be driving it at, you pick the power band of the cam based on your gear ratios and final drive, you design your head & induction to suit your cam and purpose of the car.

Hydraulic anti pump up lifters will be your most economic and servicable, solids you will be shimming rockers etc regularly if you have more money go a roller cam & roller lifters if you have that kind of money look at a 5L.

Yopur most power out of a EFI 202 will come from head work, so thats where most of your money will go, getting it to flow better, bigger valves and better valve springs, roller rockers, next you need to lighten the bottom end lighter stronger rods & pistons dont go silly ont he pistons 40thou over with a close to standard compression ratio else you will be having fuel octane issues. If a manual lighten the flywheel then have the bottom end balenced. When you go bigger vlaves in the head get the intake valve clearances checks against the block, if the machine shop becks too much off the block & head you may have issues and need the top edge of the block checked in to suit the intake valves usually a couple of mm.
After the motor is built you will need to looka t your EFI system, either adapting a delco computer to it or going after market, ditch the AFM and look at something like haltec E6GMx 6 coil packs hall effect replacing the dizzy, upgrade the fuel system, more suitable injectors, adjustable fuel pressure reg then have the lost dyno tuned

cheers
Scott

vk.jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey scott
Reason for working the 202 is cos of p plate restrictions

Its for a daily driver and I want it to be jus a little bit
More get up and go,

I was thinking of getting cam and getting the air to flow, apparently the old 6's
Don't get enough oxygen
But isn't the afm in the efi202 a massive restriction

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Gday, go for a crow cam 30/70, anti pump ups lifters, that what i got, it goes alright. I use to hav a wade regrind cam 35/75 xu-1 spec. that use to pull 130kays in second gear. I hope this helps you. Cheers Jason

vk.jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok but do I buy hydraulic or solid? Haha

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
hydraulic chief, I have never had a problem with them. It all depends on what lift you want? My crow cam lift is 440/465, it sounds pretty tuff for a 6's

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Hey scott
Reason for working the 202 is cos of p plate restrictions

Its for a daily driver and I want it to be jus a little bit
More get up and go,

I was thinking of getting cam and getting the air to flow, apparently the old 6's
Don't get enough oxygen
But isn't the afm in the efi202 a massive restriction

Um, derp?

Any engine modification is illegal for P platers, it doesn't matter if its a 202 or 308.

vk.jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah Thanks for ur help I already new that champ

vk.jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
yep, even if its just a cam man. jonno