Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] Head work for my 202i

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
So in light of the fact that you'll receive a $750 fine and loose your licence, you'd still rather take that risk with a 130hp dog of a camed 202. Over a 308 with the same mods and four times the power, for the same kind of money?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
a cam upgrade won't cost a lot of money, it's an easy job on a 202 - you could knock it over in a few hours.
the cops probably wouldn't even notice if you went with a mild cam.

I love V8's, but it doesn't always suit everyone's situation.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Its an easy job on any car.
Point is, he's being silly. I'm fairly sure he's 16-18 and needs a wee reality check. He can't drive a modified car. There's no point in upgrading the cam without doing allot of other things that are easily recognised first.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
yes, soop, do u have a problem with that?
dude u dont even know me, so i dont see why ur categorising me?

ari, wat do i have to do to the fuel delivery?
i was thinking 2000stall..?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes, soop, do u have a problem with that?
dude u dont even know me, so i dont see why ur categorising me?

ari, wat do i have to do to the fuel delivery?
i was thinking 2000stall..?

Mate, I've been there done that and learned from it. I'm "categorising" you because I know exactly what you're up to.

If you've got an EFI 202, the head is as good as you need it to be. The cam is also pretty good. I had one in a turbo 202. Went great guns until it spat a rod.
Frankly, I'd take the EFI setup and throw it in the bin, but that's just me. I think It would easier to tune a good carby setup.
IIRC the standard extractors on the EFI 202 are as good as anything you'll need, so a decent 2 1/4 exhaust would do the trick.
What condition is the distributor in? - Regraph? (Up the static timing and advance curve).

Also, wouldn't bother with a high stall?
I've got a 4spd M20 sitting here thats worth $50, yours if you want, clutch pressure plate and flywheel. That will make the car feel heaps better. Then maybe some diff gears...

vk.jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
i got 2 1/2" exhaust, and 4.11 gears sitting in my boot
i was offered a 4 spd converson, but wasnt sure if id have to find a manual ecu for it or not?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Dont know much about old Holden straight sixes but when we were younger we were always playing with 4cyl motors/heads, 1600 or 1800cc head on a 2000cc motor ect.

Could try 149, 161, 173, 186 head on it, use a die grinder to smooth it out a little or go get it shaved but I don't think its going make much of a difference.

I wouldn't really bother with a cam on a 202, but then again its your choice.

You already have a 2 1/2" exhaust, if you haven't already got extractors I'd be looking in to that next.

Seriously though if I was you and if I had the room I would buy a 2nd car to stick in a shed and work on it over time to make it exactly how I want it for when I get off my P's.

Also if room is a problem you could probably just buy a 304/308 to work on over time, put a few $1000 in to it over the time you will be on your P's and drop that in when its time.

Although you know probably already know VK's dont have much resale, mild 6 or not. You could spend $5k on that motor and probably only get half of it back when the car is sold. Pretty sure you wont be keeping it forever especially as a 6.

Don't get me wrong though, nothing wrong with 6's, Ive had a LJ coupe, HR Special, VN Calais and now a VT and they have all been 6's. Loved the old red motors cos they are great to work on your self, loved the balls on my VN, took me ages to get used to driving it without spinning the wheels. VT is nice doesnt have the balls the VN does down low but its perfect for long drives and over taking.

If you have money to burn and/or will keep that car with the motor thats already in it forever then I would be looking at a rebuild and adding parts that you want at the same time, if you would be paying someone every time you take the car to them to get something done labour will be worth more than they parts you wanted.

Or.. sell that and buy a VN S1 V6, they have the balls you are looking for that you probably couldn't get out of the 202 unless you have a bottomless pocket.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
He has the best damned 202 head on it.
12 port black motor big valve head. Ports are bigger too.

Manual ECU? wtf The "ECU" barely runs the injectors let alone anything to do with the gearbox. 4.11 final drive... Dude you'll be using more fuel then a 454chev. 4000rpm at 100kmh.

His VK is in pretty good nick though, and its easy to upgrade to a V8 later. Which isn't the case with VN's.
Maybe do a bit of research on the ECU too, it MIGHT be possible to change the memcal if they have one. I've no idea with those ancient bloody things.

vk.jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol yeah well they were for sale real cheap.. haha yer kinda reggting buying them lol..

yeah well im looking at buying my old mans colorado when he is going to upgrade..
end of next year... i think i may as well put them in, im not planning on resale anyway,

so, you guys think i should leave it..

reckon i should give the 4.11s a go?
i can allwase get the old gears re fitted