Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Header/Extractor & Cat Section Removal & Install - VY LS1 (Advice required)

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Hey everyone,

My partner will be getting some (Xforce I think) Tri-Y's and Hi-flow cat sections for her VY LS1 so I’m guessing I will have to install them. I have done some searching on this forum and had a read up in my workshop manual but I’m trying to figure out exactly what’s required.

Going on the workshop manual…
1 – Remove air box piping & sensors
2 – Remove spark plugs
3 – Remove oil dipstick / tube & put cloth over hole into sump
4 – Unbolt the Oxy sensors
5 – Unbolt cat back exhaust section
6 – Remove header bolts
7 – Remove headers

& that’s it, just lift out, replace, and reassemble in reverse order. Having a look at the stock headers I see there is no flange between the header and the cat, unlike the Xforce ones going back in.

I guess what I want to know is following the above process; will the aftermarket extractors just fit in nicely without too much hassle because reading the posts on this forum it suggests that I would need to move the rack or something like that, and another post suggested I had to remove coil packs, leads, power steering pump, coolant reservoir, and a heap of other ****.

Can someone that has done the job on a LS1 themselves let me know what I really need to do?
(I’ve found in the past the workshop manuals make things out to sound a lot easier than they are).

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As much as it irks me that you are getting XForce, I'll help you anyway.

Removal is easy. Follow the steps in the manual. But there are flanges between the factory manifolds and the cat pipes. They are up in the engine bay, you get to them from underneath with an extension and socket. The flange nuts are 13mm.

Before you do any of the following, the LHS goes in easy. The RHS can be an issue. I haven't fitted XForce myself, but I have done hundreds of good brands. Try and fit them in before you follow the steps below, they may go in. If the they don't, you will have to undo the following.

To fit the new extractors you will need to undo the steering shaft coupling to the rack. Remove the bolt and slide the coupling off the shaft and put it up on the chassis rail out of the way.

Remove the chassis brace on the RHS, it's the galvinised corner bracket held on by four 13mm copper looking nuts.

Undo the rack mounting bolts and remove them, pull the rack off the mounts and push it over the right as far as it can go.

I can't remember if the VY has the big shield under the car or not, if it does, remove that as well. You will also have to undo the clip that holds the power steering line to the front cross member just under the radiator so you can move the rack.

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Cheers mate.
We haven't bought them yet but xForce are the cheapest we could find as a combo with the extractors and hi-flow cat sections it comes to $800. They're not going on for performance gains or anything like that, my partner just wants a bit nicer sound.

If i was made of money I'd get another set of pacey's, they work a treat on the old 5litre.

What's not so good with xForce? I don't think I've ever used them before

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just build quality and fitment really. They may look good, but they are built to a price. The collector isn't optimised for flow, and the material is 304 stainless, which is a hard stainless that is used mainly in building. Polishes up nice, but tends to crack when subjected to the heat of exhaust.

But if price is the deciding factor, XForce are certainly cheap. I don't have anything against most products made in China, I myself am getting a hoist and some 4WD winches from there as we speak, but they are made to a world standard by a company that exports as their main business. XForce basically copied an existing design and made them with cheap materials and concentrated on looks rather than effectiveness.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Did someone say Xforce?

horrible-weld-beads-on-exhaust-manifold-stick-welding.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
XForce are a bit shinier than that...but I suppose it'll buff up.

conp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSV8
Hey Blackbug take a look around ebay. I just purchased a set of pacey Tri-Y for $543 delivered. Also you don't need hi flo cats you can get flanges welded to stock cats and bolt them up also referred to as opened up cats. I'm currently about to do the same thing through a local work shop.

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Cheers everyone.

Yeh i have been trolling ebay nightly looking at prices. Would really like a full pacey system like my ute but cost is a factor in this one.

Wanting to keep with the straight bolt up system because i dont have a welder & we are rural, not in a city.

Will keep checking ebay until i get some replies from people on ebay, some sellers are really bad at getting back to you.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do 1 7/8" primary tuned length 4-1's and high flow cats that will bolt straight up for $1295 shipped. Or tri Y's with cats for $1195 shipped.

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
If we had the money, we are pretty limited to around $800 - $900

Will be keeping the stock headers/cats in case the do crack