Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight LED upgrade

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Hi Guys
I am looking to upgrade my headlights to 6000k LED's along with parkers, number plate, reverse and interior lights. I have found a place called Night vision OZ who have upgraded a few VF's and claim the light output increases substantially. With the photos I have seen so far it does not seem that the headlight would be blinding the oncoming traffic unlike some of the retrofit HID kits I have seen.
Has anyone here done this and found a big difference in the light output, apart from the nice white looks ?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can't tell whether it's blinding somebody unless you're the one being blinded.

Even though the pattern thrown onto the road might look 'okay', that doesn't mean that it's not shining in the eyes of oncoming drivers.

If you go ahead, make sure the lights are DOT/ADR approved for road use. There's a good reason most, if not all of them aren't.

Btw 6000k is for wank factor. 4300k is the best for vision in a wide variety of weather and road conditions (greater penetration, less reflection off road signs).

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Hi Guys
I am looking to upgrade my headlights to 6000k LED's along with parkers, number plate, reverse and interior lights. I have found a place called Night vision OZ who have upgraded a few VF's and claim the light output increases substantially. With the photos I have seen so far it does not seem that the headlight would be blinding the oncoming traffic unlike some of the retrofit HID kits I have seen.
Has anyone here done this and found a big difference in the light output, apart from the nice white looks ?

Stay away from Night Vision OZ, the dude running the show there has been booted from that many facebook groups as he does bad installs and doesn't offer refunds even after some of his kits stop working after a few weeks. Plus what he installs is illegal anyway. Don't be one of those guys who installs super bright lights and thinks it's awesome but everyone else on the road hates you as you are blinding them.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
6000k is for wank factor. 4300k is the best for vision in a wide variety of weather and road conditions (greater penetration, less reflection off road signs).

Absolutely spot on

AAAC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Motorsport
Hi Guys
I am looking to upgrade my headlights to 6000k LED'sTesla along with parkers, number plate, reverse and interior lights. I have found a place called Night vision OZ who have upgraded a few VF's and claim the light output increases substantially. With the photos I have seen so far it does not seem that the headlight would be blinding the oncoming traffic unlike some of the retrofit HID kits I have seen.
Check out Blingwork Automotive Lighting. I have bought JW Speaker units from them for my other cars. They are very well made. They sell kits for the Commodore VF. I have not used them on my SSVR as I do not want to use a resistor to stop CANBUS warnings. I have instead used upgraded Philips halogen bulbs with good effect. I also had the headlights aimed at an auto electrical centre. I am waiting to see what the new genuine Philips H7 LED is like. There are no European or Australian standards for LED or HID conversion bulbs yet so they can only officially be sold for off-road use. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, headlights that produce no more than 2000 lumens per side do not need washers or self-levelling. I believe that the genuine Philips H7 HID conversion kit falls into this category. I have used it on another vehicle with projector headlights for 6 years without being flashed. There are many new cars with factory-fitted LED lights that do not have self-levelling or washers. I suspect that you can trust Philips have properly designed their H7 LED/HID halogen replacement bulbs.

Last edited:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I have added LED high beams and HID low beams, which were a factory option for my car (projectors)

The LED highs are super bright, but obviously not used when other drivers are around, I find the 6000k a good colour for showing up the line markings etc.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Thanks for the response guys. Ones who think 6000k is for the wank factor, I already have 6000k hid's in my wife's car (factory projector with washers and self levelling mechanism) and they are brighter than the 4300k they replaced.
Stay away from Night Vision OZ, the dude running the show there has been booted from that many facebook groups as he does bad installs and doesn't offer refunds even after some of his kits stop working after a few weeks. Plus what he installs is illegal anyway. Don't be one of those guys who installs super bright lights and thinks it's awesome but everyone else on the road hates you as you are blinding them.
Thanks for the heads up bud, will stay away from this mob then and I am definitely not one of the people who would just install super bright HID's to blind others and that is the point of asking the question on the forum.
Check out Blingwork Automotive Lighting. I have bought JW Speaker units from them for my other cars. They are very well made. They sell kits for the Commodore VF. I have not used them on my SSVR as I do not want to use a resistor to stop CANBUS warnings. I have instead used upgraded Philips halogen bulbs with good effect. I also had the headlights aimed at an auto electrical centre. I am waiting to see what the new genuine Philips H7 LED is like. There are no European or Australian standards for LED or HID conversion bulbs yet so they can only officially be sold for off-road use. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, headlights that produce no more than 2000 lumens per side do not need washers or self-levelling. I believe that the genuine Philips H7 HID conversion kit falls into this category. I have used it on another vehicle with projector headlights for 6 years without being flashed. There are many new cars with factory-fitted LED lights that do not have self-levelling or washers. I suspect that you can trust Philips have properly designed their H7 LED/HID halogen replacement bulbs.
Yeah I touch based with them as well and they do have a kit for VF but were much more expensive than Night Vision. I will try the phillips halogen bulbs. All I want is more light on dark roads for night driving.

mrjasonhong

Reaction score
Members Ride
SOAG MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
Hey mate, have you considered these -> http://www.ae-international.com.au/...m-headlight-hid-conversion-kit-canbus-h7-35w/ I have these in 4300k for the reasons mentioned above. They are made for the VF and completely seal with dust cap and no canbus error. for high beams I went with LEDs as i dont do much highway driving at night. my high beams are more for flash dickheads on our roads (and occassionally being nice as well)

EDIT: if u were going down the road of bulbs I highly recommend the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. I had them in my previous car, a Swift, and they were fantastic. Can't comment on how they go in a VF, as when i got my VF I went straight to the above HID kit.

Last edited:

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Hey mate, have you considered these -> http://www.ae-international.com.au/...m-headlight-hid-conversion-kit-canbus-h7-35w/ I have these in 4300k for the reasons mentioned above. They are made for the VF and completely seal with dust cap and no canbus error. for high beams I went with LEDs as i dont do much highway driving at night. my high beams are more for flash dickheads on our roads (and occassionally being nice as well)

EDIT: if u were going down the road of bulbs I highly recommend the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. I had them in my previous car, a Swift, and they were fantastic. Can't comment on how they go in a VF, as when i got my VF I went straight to the above HID kit.
Thanks bud, this does look interesting. Did you do the install yourself? Was it an easy installation?

mrjasonhong

Reaction score
Members Ride
SOAG MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
Thanks bud, this does look interesting. Did you do the install yourself? Was it an easy installation?
Yeah man super easy. High beams and parkers you just have to open the bonnet and its all accessible. Low Beams, you will have to go through the wheel arch. So a couple of torx screws and u can fold the wheel arch liner back slightly and you will be able to stick you hand up and reach the back of the low beams. Removing the front wheels altogether if the car is lowered will make like easier but I managed without removing them. Although my car is stock height with factory 20s

This link here mate, will help a lot -> https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/the-ultimate-bulb-replacement-guide.242681/. But of course feel free to ask