Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights not switching off.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 2005
Hey all.
Just bought myself another VZ V6 Calais and noticed the headlights stay on and the interior light wont turn on with the drivers door open.
Also the radio stays on when i open and close the drivers door.
If use the remote and open and close a few times the lights go out but stereo stays on.
Any suggestions. I was thinking drivers door lock as was common in VE's but just not sure.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi VZ

Welcome to the site. I had exactly the same problem a few days ago.

The problem is related to a signal not being sent from the BCM to turn them off. The delay accessories bus controls power to the audio system, windscreen wiper and other accessories. The accessory relay can be triggered to remove battery power to the accessories by either:
• Switching the ignition switch to the OFF position, or
• Opening the driver’s door.

The driver’s choice of what action affects the relay can be selected through the instrument cluster’s MFD or using Tech 2.
The default option is set to Door Open.

The most likely cause is a bit of crud and corrosion around the door switch. Pull this out and give it a clean and see where you get to. As soon as I cleaned mine the problems disappeared immediately.

If you have no success with that there is some additional fault finding to do in that circuit or alternatively you can change selection to off when the ignition switch is turned off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 2005
Hi VZ

Welcome to the site. I had exactly the saem problem a few days ago.

The problem is related to a signal not being sent from the BCM to turn them off. The delay accessories bus controls power to the audio system, windscreen wiper and other accessories. The accessory relay can be triggered to remove battery power to the accessories by either:
• Switching the ignition switch to the OFF position, or
• Opening the driver’s door.

The driver’s choice of what action affects the relay can be selected through the instrument cluster’s MFD or using Tech 2.
The default option is set to Door Open.

The most likely cause is a bit of crud and corrosion around the door switch. Pull this out and give it a clean and see where you get to. As oon as I cleaned mine the problems disappeared immediately.

If you have no success with that there is some additional fault finding to do in that circuit or alternatively you can change selection to off when the ignition switch is turned off.
Thanks for that.

I'll give it a go and keep you posted on my findings.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
After the other days post, guess what job I did last night. There was grot. Now there’s not.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Your stable will be on historic plates by the time you have to do it again! :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 2005
Sorry to bother you guys again. Went to do it after work today but forgot to warn the Mrs and she moved the car and headlights stayed on draining the battery.
By cleaning the corrosion around the door switch, pardon my ignorance, do you mean where the actuator sits in the drivers door lock or am I completely wrong?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Sorry VZ should have been clearer, It is the push botton switch on the hinge side of the door near the footwell. It has a single phillips head screw holding it in place.

Door Ajar Switches
The door ajar switches are installed in the hinge pillars. The door ajar switches provide door status data to the BCM:
• When the plunger is pressed, an open circuit is created, providing 'door closed' data to the BCM.
• When the plunger is released, the switch closes completing a circuit to earth, providing 'door open' data to the
BCM.
To diagnose the door ajar switch circuit, refer to Section 12J Body Control Module . (if you download the manual you will be able to find this detail)
This data is used by the BCM for many vehicle systems (for example, interior illumination dimming).

Remove
1 Remove the attaching screw (1) from the door ajar
switch (2).
2 Pull the door ajar switch from the aperture and, if
required, remove the door ajar switch wiring harness
connector (3).
N O T E
Ensure the door ajar switch wiring harness
connector does not fall into the cavity.
Door ajar switch.png

Reinstall
Reinstallation of the door ajar switches is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:
1 If required, fit the door ajar switch seal (4) to the door ajar switch, refer to Figure 12B – 126.
2 Push the door ajar switch wiring harness connector onto the door ajar switch.
3 Install the door ajar switch in the hinge pillar and tighten the attaching screw to the correct torque specification.

Door ajar switch attaching
screw torque specification...........................1.0 – 3.0 Nm

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It uses copper contacts and a bit of scotchbrite and metho does wonders to clean it up.

On this, does anyone know why the front has no seal, but the back ones use a seal? I'd have thought a seal on the front ones would be beneficial?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 2005
Morning all.
Gave it a go last night and hey presto.
Worked a treat.
Thanks so much to one and all for all your help.
Have an awesome day and keep up the good work.