Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights Not Working

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Gday fellas i have a 94 VR exec and am having problems with my headlights. Now they turn on but not all the way, like they go into park but do not fully turn on. High beam works fine. I was on my way to work a few weeks ago while it was raining and noticed my wiper blades were going spastic, had them set on one but they were going as if it was set to 3. That went away no problems. Then last week my car failed to start up but all the electrics were fine (found out it was pretty low on oil) then that was fine. Now 2 nights ago on my way to work my CD player cut out then my headlights died. CD came back on but the headlights didnt.

Ive checked all my fuses, relays they are all fine. Bought another headlight switch and thats not the culprit either. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Ice101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
Mate, you might want to get your battery tested. Also is your battery light coming on at all?

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Thats another thing the battery light came on briefly but hasnt come back on since. Have thrown the battery on the charger for 24 hours but the headlights still dont work. The old man seems to be adamant there's faulty wiring in the steering column

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Got it booked to see an auto lekky tomorrow. Ill let you guys know how it goes, still if you have any ideas before then would be greatly appreciated

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I am assuming both headlights arent blown.......using your description of what you do have... if you have high beam then headlight fuses are ok and if you have parker lights then bcm negative will be alright.
Heres a thought make sure you have the fog lamp relay plugged in (not a totally black relay, its a tin topped one like your fuel pump one)......................................... low beam relay wont work without the foglamp relay even though you dont have fog lights. In your haste to get things working you havent plugged the wrong type of relay back into the foglamp relay base have you?

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
nah matey theres nothing in the fog lamp relay hasnt been since the day i got it (2 years ago)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
nah matey theres nothing in the fog lamp relay hasnt been since the day i got it (2 years ago)
I have a 94 vr and it did...anyway does any relay click when you try to turn the low beam lights on? What happens when you go to high beam....hear any relays clicking under the bonnet?

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Yeah relays do click when you switch to highbeam.

Just some more info, i have swapped relays around but they still dont want to work. The only thing faulty with the car is cruise control/electric mirrors (10amp fuse but managed to blow a 20amp)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Can you hear a definate relay click (on the low beam relay)when you turn the lights to normal low beam with the switch? If you pull the relay out and put a wire from terminal on the low beam relay base that has the tan wire on it to the body of the car. the headlights should work.

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Took it to the auto lekky turns out it was just the bulbs. Even he was dumbfounded as to why it happened but have new bulbs and works fine now