Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights randomly go high beam in my VT

taylooor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey guys,

Lately my headlights have been randomly switching on to high beams by themselves.
It's so frustrating cause im always beaming other drivers and I know how annoying it is.

Im 99% sure that it's cause my Indicator stick (stork/lever?) doesn't sit in place properly.
And after the indicator automatically clicks off, that's when it goes high beam.
Its fine while driving most of the time, apart from the occasional speed bump, but as soon as the indicator clicks over it goes.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Definitely the indicator stalk. Sometimes pulling it apart and cleaning it can fix it but if as you say it is loose, then you will need to replace it. I don't think a new one is too expensive.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Yep. Indicator stalk. Had the same issue with my car. I upgraded to vx series 2 stalks while i was at it. Very worth while upgrade

taylooor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
thanks boys!

how hard would it be to do yourself?
(im not great with wiring etc)
worthwhile just to go to a mechanic/auto-electrician and get him to do it?

Last edited:

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Easy, no wiring required. If you havn't done it before i guess you should disconnect the battery, up to you.

Release the steering column, drop it down and pull forward.

Pop the top and bottom covers off, the bottom half has 1 screw at the bottom center, the top has a slide pin on the top left (just pull it towards the steering wheel then up).

Depress the 2 latches on the top and bottom of the stalk and slide it out of its rail.

Lift up the 2 plastic tabs which hold the cable harness down, remove the cable harness, do this for each harness.

Disconnect the cruise control harness (this is the wire 15 cm long).

Connect the new stork, the harness's have a pattern of connectors you just line them up.

Connect Cruise control tail.

Slide it back in to the rails on the column.

Reinstall the covers and test.

Should take you about 30 mins total, did it this morning in around 15 but i've been in there a few times.

Heres a link to the stalk HOLDEN COMMODORE VN VP VR VS VT INDICATOR STALK | eBay $38.00 with postage.

I would not recommend getting a mechanic/auto elec to do it, It costs more and you dont learn anything. Only go to them if you cant afford the 30 mins or so, i imagine driving there and back plus the waiting for be more than the time it takes to fix. Give it a shot if you're unsure jump back on the forums.

taylooor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Easy, no wiring required. If you havn't done it before i guess you should disconnect the battery, up to you.

Release the steering column, drop it down and pull forward.

Pop the top and bottom covers off, the bottom half has 1 screw at the bottom center, the top has a slide pin on the top left (just pull it towards the steering wheel then up).

Depress the 2 latches on the top and bottom of the stalk and slide it out of its rail.

Lift up the 2 plastic tabs which hold the cable harness down, remove the cable harness, do this for each harness.

Disconnect the cruise control harness (this is the wire 15 cm long).

Connect the new stork, the harness's have a pattern of connectors you just line them up.

Connect Cruise control tail.

Slide it back in to the rails on the column.

Reinstall the covers and test.

Should take you about 30 mins total, did it this morning in around 15 but i've been in there a few times.

Heres a link to the stalk HOLDEN COMMODORE VN VP VR VS VT INDICATOR STALK | eBay $38.00 with postage.

I would not recommend getting a mechanic/auto elec to do it, It costs more and you dont learn anything. Only go to them if you cant afford the 30 mins or so, i imagine driving there and back plus the waiting for be more than the time it takes to fix. Give it a shot if you're unsure jump back on the forums.

Thanks so much for that mate!!