Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headligs

RAVEN1977

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 LT Turbo Petrol
I want to replace my halogen lights on my 2018 LT Turbo petrol. I have trouble seeing at night and wanted something much brighter than standard. I don't understand HID or LED, or H4,H7 and those terms. I just want some advise as to what I need to achieve a better night driving experience. If someone may give me details,then I can go and purchase.
Thanks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I want to replace my halogen lights on my 2018 LT Turbo petrol. I have trouble seeing at night and wanted something much brighter than standard. I don't understand HID or LED, or H4,H7 and those terms. I just want some advise as to what I need to achieve a better night driving experience. If someone may give me details,then I can go and purchase.
Thanks

H4 and H7 are bulb fitment types, your zb should have the H7 for both high and low beam.

it is up to you whether you want hid or led.
both have the same type of increased light output.
hid setups have a warmup time which can range from 2 to about 5 seconds so in the case of high beam it can be annoying waiting for the warmup.
leds are instant so they can be better suited for high beam due to the fast switching ability.

hid setups will require a ballast which might not fit inside the headlight housing so you might need to cut a hole in the cap to feed the wires through and silicone it to maintain the water/dust tight seal.

leds can have inbuilt ballasts so they can fit inside the housing without modification.

i use leds in my zb because they are cheap (40 bucks a pair) and they work and fit without modification to the headlight cap.

which ever type you go with they will need to be listed as "canbus compatible" or "error free" so you dont get messages about headlights on the dash.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Have a look on this thread https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/zb-commodore-led-upgrade.276634/page-9
Here's a post from that thread and a link to the bulbs the poster bought.

So it turns out that the bulbs/LED's in the vehicle need to be ADR approved to meet Australian roadworthy standards and apparently failure to have these installed can lead to defect and insurance dramas (I'm guessing if your involved in a collision during the night, or if a police officer deems your headlights too bright). I spoke with a friend over the long weekend who works in motor vehicle insurance and they said it would void the claim on a vehicle if it didn't meet the Australian Design Rules, so basically the national standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions. So because of that! I have purchased these: X-tremeVision Pro150 car headlight bulb 00569428 | Philips

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Correction: These are the ones I bought which have a higher rating: Philips X-treme Vision +130% H7 | Replacement Headlight Bulbs | PowerBulbs AU

They are also on special with free delivery: $46 from $75 and on top of that an additional $9 with their promo code and they dispatch on the same day as payment, so its super fast.
Are you sure they have a higher rating. The data I looked at showed + 130% for them and +150% for the original ones you linked. Perhaps I have missed the point somewhere.

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
Are you sure they have a higher rating. The data I looked at showed + 130% for them and +150% for the original ones you linked. Perhaps I have missed the point somewhere.

Sorry I meant higher rating as in feedback.