Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

headlining questions

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi Guys, Is the headlining inter-changeable between a VS and a VP? I know the VS mirror mounts to the windscreen and the VP screws into a bracket through the headlining so there may be a bit of difference in the shape of the backing there. I don't know if that's the only difference or whether that's a problem or not. I scored a headlining out of a VS and was going to do that one up cos I've patched up the one in my VP with bondcrete in places and don't know if I can get the fabric off for one thing.
Also, what is the best glue to use for gluing the new fabric on? I know it is important because it gets bloody hot and some glues fail prematurely.
And is it possible to buy the clips that hold the backing up to the roof reinforcement strips?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Buy the orange spray can glue from Autobarn and buy the foam that is preglued to the fabric from upholstery supplies. Or pay 120 - 140 bucks and get it done. Pull the board yourself though as that will be extra. Not sure about the first question.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Buy the orange spray can glue from Autobarn and buy the foam that is preglued to the fabric from upholstery supplies. Or pay 120 - 140 bucks and get it done. Pull the board yourself though as that will be extra. Not sure about the first question.
Hi Losh, Is that price after you have bought the fabric yourself?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No that's supply fabric and glued to head board, all for under $150. I was quoted $100 for my ute. I figure sedan has a bit more material so will be a tad more.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The issue isn't if the glue is good or not when re gluing. The issue with premature failure is cleaning the surface properly before gluing.

I've always taken them out and sent them to the interior guy. He used to charge me $280 (been 5 years since I've done one) to do the job. Then I would reinstall. I mainly did this on BA falcons but it's the same process on any car. We used to do taxis and DIY and they would not last the interior guy used to last 3 times longer in taxis. Plus he had nicer material too.

Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
After having done it DIY in my VS I would pay the pro next time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I did mine and it didn't come out right. Women that sold me the foam never told me they could have got me material lined foam. It has stuck ok but it had a couple of wrinkles where the material didn't lay perfectly over the foam, which was glued to the board already. I'm going to do it again but will pay the $100 at the motor trimmer this time.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I did mine and it didn't come out right. Women that sold me the foam never told me they could have got me material lined foam. It has stuck ok but it had a couple of wrinkles where the material didn't lay perfectly over the foam, which was glued to the board already. I'm going to do it again but will pay the $100 at the motor trimmer this time.
I was looking to get my headling redone a few years ago.
Best price was $75.00 for 3 metres of material, that was from a motor trimmer. I also asked how much for him to fit it ? He replied $75.00.
So, l let him do the whole job for $150.
Though, I did clean the headboard.

Yes l was satisfied with the job he did.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I had a 2 seater SLK done a few years ago for $50 (cash) by a motor trimmer using material he already had in his shop. Pro's know how to do the job easily and properly. There's no way I'd want to do this job myself on any vehicle for these sort of prices.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks guys. There's a pretty strong consensus there. Think I'll shop around locally and pay to get it recovered and then put it in myself.
Anyone able to answer the first question?