Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heads up to the ute owners out there..

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
was talking to the bloke at the suspension shop today after my vz got lowerd and he mentioned to me that up here in queensland and im assuming they are doing it in other states aswell,

that there is a specific "defect" car that the police drive around in and are especially picking on utes at the moment because they have been able to defect alot of blokes for the fact that utes are classed as "commercial" vehicles and therefore come out stock standard with load rated tyres...

so to all the people with utes and rims that arnt load rated be careful of coppers cus they are defecting alot of ppl on this and there is nothing the owner can do about it as its perfically legal.

cheers james

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
A mate has just bought an VR lowered ute and was made to put new suspension on it, because of the load rating. In the ACT utes are registered as commercial vehicles. Which sucks because the rego is more expensive.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Check your tyre placard inside your door, it tells you all the info you need about your tires

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
All vehicles have tyre load rating requirements.

Most commodores VT onward require a load rating of 92. which means the tyre is rated to carry 630kg.

The lowest legal load rating for a VT is 615kg and since the 90 load rating only gives a 600kg load capacity... not legal.

This is were alot of people get caught out with 20inch rims on VT's and onward... as it's difficult to find a 20 inch tyre that has the correct diameter and load rating.

Further reading can be found here:

Tyre Load Rating

and here:

20 inch help - Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

As f1tzy said, check your tyre placard to check what are the exact requirements for your vehicle.

Cheers

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
thanks jesterarts, also just to confirm for queensland memebers that police are also cracking down on tyre sizes...cant be anymore then 2inch's bigger then wat came with the car as holden made it..so for instance my vz came with 17's so can only go for 19's to be legal..which is all i want anyways.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
^^^^ exactly. I went from 16's to 18's on my vz and the overall rolling diameter was SMALLER by 3mm.

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
Spot on James, in my case had to leave the standard wheels and tyres on the tonner. The VY one tonner is actually rated to carry more than a ton.
Just wasn't worth the hassle. Even the standard tyres rated for it are bloody expensive. You also have to consider not only what is legal, but what your insurance company will allow. Don't just assume mods that are legal, are also acceptable to them. They play by their own rules