Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headunits from overseas

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I've been looking into buying a new dvd headunit and have found quite a few online for a lot cheaper. Name brand ones too like sony, pioneer, etc. I bought an eonon (china brand) one before for my lancer which was ok but i got what i paid for.

My question is regarding the radio systems. I've heard that systems from overseas won't be able to pick up domestic signals. Is this true or does it just scan fm frequencies and pick up everything like a unit bought domestically?

Any help regarding this would be appreciated. Thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Frequency range is what you need to research. The H/U will find any station inside its working range.

Throw up some links of ones you like and we'll have a look.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
i had first eonon 7inch dvd player CRAP anyways it distorted sound signal (noise i pressume my old friend) above 38 out of 60 on h/u

anyways got another one recently with a heat sink and fan for 350 from eonon site... has warranty and old issues are dealt with
its no award winning sound output but hey with small sub and amp it sounds pretty bloddy good to me~! far cheaper
than 1200 for the equivelent from sony which only had 20watts more power per channel at lesss maximum ohms per speaker!~
mine is an ipod/dvd/(allregion/radio(all stations work)

but be aware that the tv systems inthese are old signal so digital doesnt work..... and most of he time the tv anoluge signal is in the wrong range i noticed.....
but dvd screen is clear etc so this car i got another eonon for my missus to watch her dvd's on long drives~!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
i had first eonon 7inch dvd player CRAP anyways it distorted sound signal (noise i pressume my old friend) above 38 out of 60 on h/u

anyways got another one recently with a heat sink and fan for 350 from eonon site... has warranty and old issues are dealt with
its no award winning sound output but hey with small sub and amp it sounds pretty bloddy good to me~! far cheaper
than 1200 for the equivelent from sony which only had 20watts more power per channel at lesss maximum ohms per speaker!~
mine is an ipod/dvd/(allregion/radio(all stations work)

but be aware that the tv systems inthese are old signal so digital doesnt work..... and most of he time the tv anoluge signal is in the wrong range i noticed.....
but dvd screen is clear etc so this car i got another eonon for my missus to watch her dvd's on long drives~!

Watts per channel is pretty much meaningless when you add an amp to it.

Frequency stepping is another issue that can cause problems.

Ah, cheers mate.

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
There are modules to boost signal, I know Aerpro use to make one.

Any reason you don't want to buy Local? Grey imports are really put me off starting my own Business.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I personally would just buy a cheapish fold-down monitor, can be had for under $200, one of those DLNA media link things, and just use my phone to give me GPS, HD Movies, music, etc. But I'm a cheap-arse nerd.