Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heal and toe woes

mattfuel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Hi, bought the 2017 ssv redline manual, love it, my only criticism is that I find the pedal setup awkward. The accelerator is set back too far from the brake ... I’m finding it a bit clunky to heal and toe ... the last manual commodore I owned was the VR SS - pedal setup was just perfect. Short of bending the pedal arms in this new one, does anyone know of any mods (to the car, not the driver)?

Last edited:

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
Hi, bought the 2017 ssv redline manual, love it, my only criticism is that I find the pedal setup awkward. The accelerator is set back too far from the brake ... I’m finding it a bit clunky to heal and toe ... the last manual commodore I owned was the VR SS - pedal setup was just perfect. Short of bending the pedal arms in this new one, does anyone know of any mods (to the car, not the driver)?
Yeah I totally agree. I thought about buying a set of sports pedals from eBay so I could try bending the accelerator arm around a bit. I also find the engine is slow to "blip", maybe that I'm just not used to a V8 (last manual I ownded was a WRX). Perhaps a tune would fix that.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
See Auto Blip doc attached.

Attachments

• 2010_2015_Camaro_v1_7.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 528

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
An adjustment might be best?????
Can remember a few years ago having a few laps in a Comm. around a circuit and the throttle was no where near my heel. Was awful.
Came in and mentioned to owner and got told to just push it through. Not good.
My manual sports cars I always set up to heel and toe as a normal and comfortable way to drive and be easy on the gear box.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

you cannot bend the pedal arms on VF ....
being made of glass reinforced plastic, any attempt will break it
(accel or brake pedal)

on mine I found the issue NOT to be the distance
but one of depth. Even with the brake pedal fully depressed
the accel pedal is still 15mm LOWER than the brake

I got another accel pedal and put it on top of the original(which lifts the height up )
and all good.... heel and toe is easy peasy

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's not a matter of using a different part of your right foot is it?
Even though it's called "heel & toe", I've not really ever had a car where the throttle goes anywhere near my heel; I usually blip it with the (outside) side of my foot, with the ball of the foot on the brake.
I can't comment on the Commodore though, it being automatical.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Same problem here in my 2015 SSV. But drove my mates series 2 Redline and I could heel toe no worries. We measured the pedals and his series 2 accelerator pedal actually sits 15mm higher than mine. Which I still find hard to believe, and I measured it. Another pedal on top mentioned above sounds like a good idea.

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
It's not a matter of using a different part of your right foot is it?
Even though it's called "heel & toe", I've not really ever had a car where the throttle goes anywhere near my heel; I usually blip it with the (outside) side of my foot, with the ball of the foot on the brake.
I can't comment on the Commodore though, it being automatical.
Yeah I use that method too, funny it feels OK when the engine not running but I can't do it smoothly when driving. Maybe it would be OK on a race track when you're breaking much harder than on the road.

Will try to find that accelerator pedal, that would do the trick for me I think.