Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hearing high pitched sound (with video)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Hi please try watch the video again.
Sorry, I can't really help with that as I have never heard that noise in a car before. Personally, I'd be disconnecting anything not necessary, like the cap, and swapping components until you round down the fault to one product/area. Do what Tasmaniak said :)

What head unit do you have? I didn't see you mention it anywhere.

Not with engine on... Just with head unit on. pioneers were the worst for it...
Pioneer's blown RCA ground was mainly evident with the car running, not with it off. Can't even tell it's blown while audio testing on a bench unless you measure the resistance/continuity to ground.

BakedPete

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT Commodore 2000 series 2 olympic edition
hi the head unit is a pioneer 155mpg. Thanks.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Pioneer's blown RCA ground was mainly evident with the car running, not with it off. Can't even tell it's blown while audio testing on a bench unless you measure the resistance/continuity to ground.
Ahhh, you talking about the problem and I was talking about the cause of the problem...

Yes, the blown ground is typically only evident when engine is running (unless it's a "noisy" car... Late model Hondas) but if I remember correctly, to blow the ground in the first place, it didn't matter if the engine was running or not did it? Only that the headunit was running.... or am I barking up the neighbours tree?

BakedPete

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you guys think the fuse for the RCA is blown?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Ahhh, you talking about the problem and I was talking about the cause of the problem...

Yes, the blown ground is typically only evident when engine is running (unless it's a "noisy" car... Late model Hondas) but if I remember correctly, to blow the ground in the first place, it didn't matter if the engine was running or not did it? Only that the headunit was running.... or am I barking up the neighbours tree?
It could even blown when powered off :hmmm: I blew a few on my test bench just connecting RCAs while a live loom was plugged in and vice versa, plugging loom in while RCAs were already plugged in. Then other times I could plug and play on the fly and not have an issue. Didn't really make sense but best to be safe than sorry :)

So you guys think the fuse for the RCA is blown?
I've never heard the blown RCA fuse cause that sound. You can link a wire from ground (head unit chassis) to the RCA outer ring at the back of the head unit to eliminate that as a possible cause.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Nope... we are just a little off topic. If the rca ground was blown, then the induced noise would be different. It would result in your typical alternator whine... not this.

Your noise reminds me of a power supply... in an amp, since it's not your amp then I would suspect the capacitor. If it was a standard coke can capacitor it wouldn't do it.. but those fancy pants hybrid caps are not really caps at all! I don't know if they can induce such noise but I can't think of anything in a head unit that would cause it.

You don't have any means in the car do you? (Long shot)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
It could even blown when powered off :hmmm: I blew a few on my test bench just connecting RCAs while a live loom was plugged in and vice versa, plugging loom in while RCAs were already plugged in. Then other times I could plug and play on the fly and not have an issue. Didn't really make sense but best to be safe than sorry

Ahhh the wonders of Pioneer pixie dust... lol

BakedPete

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just connected it without the cap and still the same noise and i have connected it the same way as a normal sub.

I had a different sub with a different amp a few months ago and this problem never happen and its wired the same way.

BakedPete

Reaction score
Members Ride
When the subwoofer is of and im playing the music from the in-car speakers everything is
normal and is the same when the sub-woofer is connected but that high pitched sound is
killing me.

I have got the remote wire connected to the acc cable.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Why is the remote wire not attached to the head unit? Disconnect it from the amp and just momentarily bridge it from the power cable to the remote terminal... noise still there?

How did you go with those other tests I asked you about?