Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heat coming from dash, help?

Nanceo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VX Berlina
Hey guys I need some help. Sometimes when I drive around, I feel heat coming from the dash and underneath the steering wheel even though the vents are closed. My car doesn't overheat and I recently changed the water pump so I don't think it's that either. My heater would be off but my aircon doesn't release cold, may be a leak. Could that be related?

I can't seem to find a good mechanic and if I do, they charge me a lot. Joys of being a female and jobless at the moment, does anyone know what this problem is and how much it'll be to fix? Thank you :)

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
is it just a radiating heat or an actual flow of warm air? if the fan is on (even with the vents closed via the flaps) air will still seep past them. is the airflow set on fresh or recirculating? do u normally have the a/c on or just the fan?

if the a/c is out of gas and/or the system has a leak which virtually makes it useless, then all u will get is warm air.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Does it have climate control? Ive noticed in my calais even when the whole thing is switched off
air still gets past the flaps in the heater box and comes through the vents.

Like turtle said try and put it on recirc even if the fans not on. This should stop it drawing air from outside and
coming through the vents.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
It say ur heater tap isn't closing an allowing the hot coolant into the heater core in the cabin.

Next time u experience the heat under the steering wheel, pull over or wait till ur home/work, and place it hand close to the water pipes above ur foot rest. This will confirm the heater tap is faulty.

Nanceo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VX Berlina
Does ur windscreen fog aswell and is the heat damp/humid?

Does it have climate control? Ive noticed in my calais even when the whole thing is switched off
air still gets past the flaps in the heater box and comes through the vents.

Like turtle said try and put it on recirc even if the fans not on. This should stop it drawing air from outside and
coming through the vents.

Heey, yeah mine has climate control, still learning how to use it actually. I do have it on recirc and i have my vents closed, still doesn't help

Nanceo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VX Berlina
is it just a radiating heat or an actual flow of warm air? if the fan is on (even with the vents closed via the flaps) air will still seep past them. is the airflow set on fresh or recirculating? do u normally have the a/c on or just the fan?

if the a/c is out of gas and/or the system has a leak which virtually makes it useless, then all u will get is warm air.

Hey turtle. I dont have my ac on or the fan, always off and tend to have recirc on, not fresh. It seems like radiating heat, happens when i drive for a bit.

I think it may be a leak, i mean that would make sense because this never used to happen before i touched on with regas

Nanceo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VX Berlina
It say ur heater tap isn't closing an allowing the hot coolant into the heater core in the cabin.

Next time u experience the heat under the steering wheel, pull over or wait till ur home/work, and place it hand close to the water pipes above ur foot rest. This will confirm the heater tap is faulty.

Hello, okay ill try that but if there's heat from there and I have to change the heater tap, would it cost a lot? Or is it a big job? Is it even dangerous to just leave it and drive around normally?

Nanceo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VX Berlina
Hello, okay ill try that but if there's heat from there and I have to change the heater tap, would it cost a lot? Or is it a big job? Is it even dangerous to just leave it and drive around normally?